Down to just the two...

The round table for bass brethren off topic discussion.

Down to just the two...

Postby Telebass » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:24 pm

Have really had a good clear-out over the last few months. Now just two basses left, my Fender P bitsa and the Squier P5.
Everything I need, nothing I don't.

Starting a new project that's mainly acoustic - no more ear plugs! For this I use the bitsa P and just the Markbass CMD121H combo.

Some of this downsizing is Leland Sklar's fault. Saw him performing ( and met him!) with Judith Owen here back in March, and the stark simplicity of his rig spoke to me. He does pretty much everything these days with a Warwick Star Bass and an Ampeg B15.

I sold my beloved Barefaced Super 15 and the Little MArk III that powered it. Acquired a MArkbass Traveler 151P so I can get the full-fat 500W from the combo if I need to.

That's it, all done. No radio rigs, in-ear monitors. Right back to basics.

Feels good!

haven't been here much lately - how are you all?
Fender MIM P Std, 2004, black, all-maple American Special Jazz neck, USA p/u (P bitsa)
Squier VM 70s Jazz, Natural.
Markbass CMD121H & Traveler 151P.
Telebass

Location: Tavistock, Devon, UK - on the wrong side of the Tamar...

Re: Down to just the two...

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:58 am

Simple is good. The more knobs I have to mess with the worse I sound. YMMV, etc etc.

I've just got two basses myself. I play them both regularly as they have different flavors and really love both of them. I, honestly, don't GAS over basses any more. I know, I know....You think that's a bunch of [smilie=bs.gif]. But it's true!!

I imagine that there's a WHOLE lot going on after Leland Sklar's simple rig. EQing, compressors, etc etc. Not to downplay his tone and the sheer genius of his playing, but the guys that mix LS and folks on his level are just as good at their craft as he is at his. I mean, sheeeeit.....Some of those guys might even be able to make ME sound good!!
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Telebass » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:10 am

True, but in this instance, we were in a tiny venue, and I could hear him rather than what was processed through the small sound system. Whatever, it had the right effect on me. I suppose I'm really down to one, as the Squier P5 is only for extra string/backup duty. The bitsa P is the one I use 99% of the time.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Fender MIM P Std, 2004, black, all-maple American Special Jazz neck, USA p/u (P bitsa)
Telebass

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:05 am

Telebass wrote:True, but in this instance, we were in a tiny venue, and I could hear him rather than what was processed through the small sound system. Whatever, it had the right effect on me.
Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

That's the "genius" part! The guy is so good it's hard for me to even imagine it. Like trying to comprehend The Big Bang: It ain't going to happen!

I'd LOVE to see him up close and personal like you did!
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Telebass » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:06 am

Quite an experience, to be sure!
Telebass

Postby Telebass » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:25 am

PS: Need to update that pic >>>

EDIT: Ahh, that's better! >>>
Last edited by Telebass on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Telebass

Postby Rhian Batson » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:30 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Simple is good. The more knobs I have to mess with the worse I sound. YMMV, etc etc.

HOLY CRAP, an EA pro came into my LMS & after a hard days work, that amp and its myriad of knobs, sliders and buttons about pushed my brain over the edge lol. I had smoke coming out of my ears.

Nice to see ya Tele! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] I think it's excellent to tweak your rig to your needs. My problem is that I can't seem to let go of gear, rather Im in a slow but steady state of perpetual acquisition LOL. I need to get out of my condo and buy a house because I need the room. My music room is ... "cluttered" and my wife is noticing [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] . I am according to her "a junk junkie - HARD-CORE-PACK-RAT [smilie=fun_84.gif] Anyhow, I've been working my ass off (aren't we all) but have had a few fun studio opportunities locally. Just show up, DI to the board, lay it down, unplug and walk out. It's not a lot but just enough to scratch that itch, yanno? and the 1 off nature is perfect for an unpredictable schedule. My stable has pretty much stayed the same ie: active 78 P/J, active fretless parts P, passive MIJ90 P, passive MIJ 75riJ, Active MM sig J. I did sell one J build I threw together but have a fretless P build to replace it and another half n half build in the works that will get done when I get the time for it. Rigs are the same, AmpegSVT810e/HA5500, Ampeg2x12/BF bassman, Peavey4x12/Allied PA head, SF Bassman10/Carvin1x15.

Fun times! [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:33 pm

Damn good to hear from you.
[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

Yep, my GK 1x12 does 99% of my gigs.
Small and light.
When I want more out of it,
I run the BBE Sonic Stomp in line.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Telebass » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:14 am

It's good to talk to all of you, too.
:)
In fact, it's changing again...the 5er is out this week, to be replaced by a parts build P-with-Jazz-neck as backup. Two Precisions - doesn't get any simpler than that...

The only thing I might do in the future is build another P IF I can get hold of a 1.75" 57-style maple neck. Using a "Wilkinson 4+1" kit i have in the parts bin, I can then make a narrow-spaced 5er that won't hurt my hands too much. Not going to happen quickly - such necks are not common here, or not unattached to basses, at any rate! [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Telebass

Postby Telebass » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:17 am

Rhian, I understand about letting go....Quite recently, this same room was home to a big rig, two combos, five electrics and two uprights! That's a LOT of bass space. But it just couldn't go on - I never got most of it out it's cases.
Feels...cleaner!
:)
Telebass

Postby Telebass » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:02 am

Well, the second P-bitsa never materialised. The bass that I was to cannibalise to do it is too nice, so now I have a Jazz Bass again! Needs some flats, though...
Telebass

Return to HARLEYYY'S HANG