Hey Rhian! I have a new chili!

The round table for bass brethren off topic discussion.

Hey Rhian! I have a new chili!

Postby 57RIP » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:02 pm

Aji amarillo. Powdered from Savory and in paste form from Goya... It is for me a new dimension...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Re: Hey Rhian! I have a new chili!

Postby Rhian Batson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:11 pm

That stuff is bomb dot com good - an excellent salsita. I've had it a lot of ways but my fav is whisked into some crema fresca or mayo and used as a dip for say a quesadilla, gorditas or sauce for tacos etc. The first time I had it was back in 2004 when the band I was playing with was touring through Cali/the west coast. It was at a Peruvian restaurant in ... I want to say Pasadena. Anyhow, it was served as a condiment to some beef Saltado I got. Flipping good stuff :) Have you tried making it scratch?

Most recipes call for blanching the chile in water but for a twist try blistering the chiles over a gas burner or on a grill. Do that and sweat them for an hour or so in a resealable plastic bag. The skin will come right off away and give the chiles a nice mild smokey base. Also, some sweetness will pop out and it'll kick back the acidity somewhat. It's so good on so many things. Mix a bit with some mayo n try it on burgers sometime loaded up with crisp fresh veggies: onion, lettuce, tomato, pickle etc. If you do the low carb thing, that with lettuce wraps is dee-lish or grilled chicken diced & tossed in some of that with some crumbled farmers cheese (feta is good too) and pickled red onions or a fire roasted tomato salsita is a tasty version as well.

[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Re: Hey Rhian! I have a new chili!

Postby Passinwind » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:25 pm

57RIP wrote:Aji amarillo. Powdered from Savory and in paste form from Goya... It is for me a new dimension...

We grew some here a few years ago, along with aji limon another year, which I didn't like nearly as much. I used all the amarillos fresh though, never got around to drying any as it was a fairly small crop.
Passinwind

Re: Hey Rhian! I have a new chili

Postby 57RIP » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Thanks for the ideas! Mixed crema sounds good. Makes me think fish tacaux... Maybe we'll grow a bush this summer.

My fish tacaux are spoce rubbed and baked, not battered and fried... So tac'aux ;-)
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Re: Hey Rhian! I have a new chili

Postby Rhian Batson » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:18 pm

57RIP wrote:Thanks for the ideas! Mixed crema sounds good. Makes me think fish tacaux... Maybe we'll grow a bush this summer.

My fish tacaux are spoce rubbed and baked, not battered and fried... So tac'aux ;-)

I agree - a nice meaty baked or grilled fish is SO much better than fried fish when in a taco. Funny memory - was playing SXSW in 2004 and while in Austin, we stopped off at this bad baja mexicali joint. Everyone got fish tacos except myself. I swear they were fish sticks in a corn tortilla with mayo on top. WOOF. They were so bad, I never forgot that lol.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Return to HARLEYYY'S HANG