Kai Eckhardt

Who are your heroes? This is the place to tell all who inspired you to gravitate to the low frequency passion and share knowledge of the greats.

Kai Eckhardt

Postby oogie boogie » Wed May 10, 2006 3:33 pm

One of the baddest, funkiest men on the planet, one of the kindest, most spiritually and socially aware people I know, and I am honored to call him my friend and teacher. His lessons are lessons for life, every single one of them.
oogie boogie

Postby Jerry » Thu May 11, 2006 5:14 am

Longtime fan since his days with Vital Information and John Mclaughlin. I recently got a DVD of Garaj Mahal and Kai just seems to have great joy when he plays. Very cool you get to study with him!!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby oogie boogie » Thu May 11, 2006 3:33 pm

I am truly blessed and honored to be his student. He's a great teacher and a real friend. His Garaj Mahal stuff is pretty amazing, but he's got another project going that I believe he calls Area 61. Dude, that stuff is BADASS!!! He's got the old guitarist from Sly and the Family, and some other monsters,and it's just bumpin. I'm going to give him a shout and hip him to this place.
oogie boogie

Postby stevieg » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:53 pm

Greetings,

I am new to forum though not the lower frequecies. Been playing for over twenty-five yrs and proud of it. Guitar, not a chance. Never have, never will!

Back to subject. I saw the estimable Mr. Eckhart at the Greek Theater in Berkeley w/ John McLaughlin and was simply blown away. I left asking myself, why bother. Anyway, I read in Downbeat that Kai had a solo album out. So of I went to Amoeba Records in Berkeley and asked if thewy had "Honor Simplicity". The clerk told me that they were out of it though Kai would likely drop in soon and leave some more copies. WHAT! Kai lives in the area???? Sure, was the reply. Never have I been so motivated to take more lessons, though the humiliation after so many years of playing classical and jazz upright, as well as electric was more trhan I could bring myself to face.

s
stevieg

Postby jim » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:19 pm

stevieg wrote:Greetings,

WHAT! Kai lives in the area????

Yep, sure does. He was on tour with McLaughlin, saw them (and Triloc) at the old Yoshis location in North Oakland on Clairmont ave.... Then I see him some weeks later playing with some locals, Frank Martin among them at Kansaki's Lounge in SF. This confused me... so I walk up to him, find out that it definitely was Kai, and asked to be accepted as a student, to which he said "why not". We studied in his home in Berkeley, then later in a place he rented in oakland.

Turned out he quit the McLaughlin tour because he met his future wife at the old Yoshis... even took her last name, and she his: their last name is Eckhardt de Camargo.
jim

Postby oogie boogie » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:48 am

stevieg wrote:Greetings,

I am new to forum though not the lower frequecies. Been playing for over twenty-five yrs and proud of it. Guitar, not a chance. Never have, never will!

Back to subject. I saw the estimable Mr. Eckhart at the Greek Theater in Berkeley w/ John McLaughlin and was simply blown away. I left asking myself, why bother. Anyway, I read in Downbeat that Kai had a solo album out. So of I went to Amoeba Records in Berkeley and asked if thewy had "Honor Simplicity". The clerk told me that they were out of it though Kai would likely drop in soon and leave some more copies. WHAT! Kai lives in the area???? Sure, was the reply. Never have I been so motivated to take more lessons, though the humiliation after so many years of playing classical and jazz upright, as well as electric was more trhan I could bring myself to face.

s

Think nothing of it. He's a great teacher and as far as I know, still accepting students. If you want to get in touch with him, PM me and I'll get you contact info. His schedule is a bit jumbled as he still frequently tours internationally, but when he's around he drops the deep knowledge.

O
oogie boogie

Kai

Postby ghiadub » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:49 pm

Mind blowing

"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Re: Kai Eckhardt

Postby Jerry » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:05 am

[smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] Wow!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Return to FAME