Jonas Hellborg- interesting interview/monologue

Who are your heroes? This is the place to tell all who inspired you to gravitate to the low frequency passion and share knowledge of the greats.

Jonas Hellborg- interesting interview/monologue

Postby Big Jack Blass » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:06 pm

Kind of just found this guy in my search for bass players and their views of music. Very interesting interview. I agree with much of what he said, being a self taught bass player with no lessons. Please know that this interview has several of the "F....R" words from Jonas. Although I don't use alot of expletives in my normal conversation, you got to hand it to him for saying what he thinks and I guess this is just they way he talks. So be warned if you don't like to read that, then please don't click. I was just thinking that his last name "HELLBORG" sounds like something from out of Startrek.....you know, the "borg"...."you will be assimilated." But that's probably just my bizarre nutsy sense of humor.

Here's the linky: http://www.abstractlogix.com/interview_ ... p?idno=130

In the head shot of him, he has the most mean look. Wondering why......He is a famous bass player, he should be smiling!!!! hahaha.

Big Jack Blass and His Badass Bass.
Big Jack Blass

Re: Jonas Hellborg- interesting interview/monologue

Postby Father Gino » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Sorry, I couldn't even read the whole thing. I don't even know who this guy is because I'm so out of touch with the music scene. I was a big Mahavishnu fan but I lost touch by 1979 0r so.

I think there are two very basic camps in the music we westerners hear: The cerebral, schooled, studied camp and the seat-of-the pants, stream of consciousness pure expression camp. It's Beethoven vs. the blues. Progressive rock vs. regressive rock. Mowtown vs. Stax. Is one camp superior?

White man invented classical music and then fell in love with black man's music because it was so free and of the moment. Then white man had to explain and justify this new freedom of expression and thereby dilute it.

What is music anyway? What is it supposed to do? Make you dance? feel? think? What's the point of it all?

I think the cool thing about music is that its appeal is universal and in the long run unexplainable. It's magic. It's part of what makes us human. It comes from many places and many different types of people. The fact that there are so many different approaches to it that are all viable IMHO is most of it's charm. I love this quote (and I don't know who it belongs to): there are two kinds of music, good and bad, and I like both.

I'm probably guilty of going doopie doopie doo forever and liking it. I could listen to doopie doopie doo forever and not tire of it. Then again I have been moved by things that are seemingly new. But innovation without feeling, without the magic, seems pointless

:hid: [smilie=bs.gif] [smilie=fun_84.gif] [smilie=coz.gif]
Father Gino

Return to FAME