Willie Weeks

Who are your heroes? This is the place to tell all who inspired you to gravitate to the low frequency passion and share knowledge of the greats.

Willie Weeks

Postby Funky Ghost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:08 am

My first post here on BABP will be an homage to my personal favorite BABP :)

Dig it!

Dat tone!

I can never find Chain Reaction by Wynonna on the net but Willie is just filthy on that song!

So there it is. My hero on bass. I dig all the usual suspects, but Willie and his tasteful, funky and groovy use of space works for me.

Hiya!
Funky Ghost

Re: Willie Weeks

Postby MickeyOne » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:56 pm

I hear he is on the new Boz Scaggs cd.
MickeyOne

Postby hmagman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:07 am

MickeyOne wrote:I hear he is on the new Boz Scaggs cd.

Yes, I read that too! The CD is on my list...
Harry
hmagman

Postby Jerry » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:03 pm

I heard that he great Leroy Hodges is also on the new Scaggs album, it was produced in Memphis by Don Was. Back to Weeks, I have dug him a very long time too....check out the Neil Larsen album Jungle Fever from the late 70's, Weeks is teamed up with the great Andy Newmark on drums and the grooves kill. My Weeks connection and people probably get sick of me telling this story, but Weeks played bass on two songs I co-wrote when Gail Swanson recorded them in Nashville.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby jamie » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:13 am

Willie w/Ronnie Wood's Barbarians 1974

Andy Newmark - drums

jamie

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:06 am

I was channel surfing late night after a gig last week and WW and Steve Gadd were with Eric Clapton on a Crossroads Concert show. Oh. My. GAWD! They killed.

IIRC (big "if") I saw WW playing with the Doobies in the late 70's/early 80's?
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Jerry » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:43 am

Mr. Mom wrote:I was channel surfing late night after a gig last week and WW and Steve Gadd were with Eric Clapton on a Crossroads Concert show. Oh. My. GAWD! They killed.

Yeah, he took over few their "last" tour after Tiran left. I saw him with them, awesome! Weeks also does most of the bass work on Michael McDonald's first solo album, except Keep Forgetting, Louis Johnson played that badass line.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Rob Francis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:I was channel surfing late night after a gig last week and WW and Steve Gadd were with Eric Clapton on a Crossroads Concert show. Oh. My. GAWD! They killed.

Yeah? Thanks for the link Bruce :(
Rob Francis

Postby Jerry » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Rob Francis wrote:

Yeah? Thanks for the link Bruce :(

There's a lot of them out there, this is from R&R Hall Of Fame at MSG.
https://www.youtube.com/v/oR3virgP_IY
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Return to FAME