LA Baddasses

Who are your heroes? This is the place to tell all who inspired you to gravitate to the low frequency passion and share knowledge of the greats.

LA Baddasses

Postby MickeyOne » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Although Smooth Jazz isn't my thing, I was fortunate enough to have my wife drag me to a Dave Koz Alaskan cruise last week and the music was spectacular. Hearing Dave Koz, Bobby Caldwell, Richard Elliott, Chris Botti, Gerald Albright and especially MINDY ABAIR live was way better than on recordings, mostly because the bottom end was huge. Great keyboardists, guitarists, drummers and bassists, mostly from LA. I am leaving out some artists and I can't remember all the bassists but here is a list:

Richie Goods out of NYC with Chris Botti-drummer was Billy Kilson-maybe the best I've ever seen.
Stan Sargent
Ethan Farmer
Mel Brown-The main guy for the headline shows-great
Sam Sims
Al Turner-also great
I am forgetting at least 2 more guys and Richard Elliott's 14 year old daughter too.

The greatest thing about the trip is we saw a year's worth of shows in a week. Good seats, no driving, DUI fears, hassels, venue issues, etc-all the reasons I don't get out much anymore along with getting older.
MickeyOne

Re: LA Baddasses

Postby hmagman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:30 am

Wow! Sounds like I need to go on one of those cruises...

Great players for sure, I've checked out most of those acts in the past. What is played on their recordings is tame in comparison to what is played in a live setting. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Jerry » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:47 pm

I saw Sam Sims with George Howard over twenty years ago, he just killed!!!! Most smooth jazz bands live are different animals than their recordings. I was never a Dave Koz fan but I saw him live and the band smoked.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby MickeyOne » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:14 pm

Yessir. and George Howard is here in Tucson.

1 additional baddass, I failed to mention is Gerald Albright known foremost as a tenor saxman is also a baddass bassist.
I was lucky he wasn't as proficient in pocket billiards.
Attachments
IMG_20140908_181214.jpg
MickeyOne

Return to FAME