Gary Willis

Who are your heroes? This is the place to tell all who inspired you to gravitate to the low frequency passion and share knowledge of the greats.

Gary Willis

Postby oogie boogie » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:41 am

Hmmm...here's a name I haven't seen mentioned. Definately a BAAAAADASS bassist. More of a player's player than a crowd pleaser, for sure, and by most accounts a great teacher. Rather a purist on tone too. I can't decide if I really dig his tone or not, but his playing is rediculous. I haven't heard much of his stuff outside of Tribal Tech, but that stuff's pretty cool of you haven't heard it. Lots of crazy muting stuff, using some hand position that just looks painful to me.
oogie boogie

Postby Jerry » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:59 am

Willis is one of bassdoms deep thinkers like Anthony Jackson, another bass Jedi-master. He definitely is one of the great voices on fretless, with great intonation and incredible right hand endurance. His solo albums Bent and Sweat have some just plain sick playing and writing on them...one of my faves in electric jazz. I can't believe we missed him in the Fame section so far [smilie=fun_84.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby shamus63 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:24 pm

Best Willis track (IMHO): "Stoopid", off the Tribal Tech "Illicit" cd.

Monster playing by everyone involved, especially Gary and drummer Kirk Covington!

[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
"Don't play it if you don't feel it." - James Jamerson
shamus63

Links: Basses:
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
'84 Squier Japan Precision
Yamaha BB300

Rig:
Ampeg B2-RE
Ampeg SVT-410HLF
=o7o

Re: Gary Willis

Postby ghiadub » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:46 am

I really dig this version of Norwegian Wood Gary is so smooth
http://youtu.be/K5sYu3yK0ws
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Re: Gary Willis

Postby throckmorten » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Just stumbled across this thread. As it turns out I've had "Bent" in rotataion most of the past week. As a defense against the onslaught of Christmas music if nothing else. Worth it for the first 3 tracks alone.
Odd there are no samples on Amazon, but you can check it out on his site http://garywillis.com/music/bent
EGAD!
throckmorten

Return to FAME