Geddy Lee

Who are your heroes? This is the place to tell all who inspired you to gravitate to the low frequency passion and share knowledge of the greats.

Re: Geddy Lee

Postby harleyyy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:24 pm

Interview...

[googlevideo] [/googlevideo]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Simpleman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:39 pm

Cool interview...Thanks for posting that...Did that come in the new guitar world with that guy from the white stripes on it?
MySpace
" I just wanna say, that when my time comes, I hope I am buried face down, so that anyone who doesnt like me, can kiss my ass."--Red Forman
Simpleman

Postby Mike Childree » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:42 pm

Wow....that's all the stuff I've wanted to ask him for years! Great stuff Pete!
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Armybass » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:21 am

Wow, what a great interview. I took my son to see them two nights ago and it was an amazing show, They played for three or more hours and it is great to hear him speak about a lot of these things after just seeing them!
Armybass

Postby MAIDEN 69 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:00 pm

Great interview. What a cool personality he is. The only other question I would ask him is what his thought is on Steve Harris, my other favorite player.
I guess I need to go get the new album. I will see them in August in Sacramento, can't wait.
Why can't I play like Steve Harris????
Oh yeah, he's a bass god!
Sucks being a mere Mortal......
MAIDEN 69

Postby Rich M » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:56 am

From Fender Online:

"The renowned Rush bassist/vocalist on the R30 anniversary DVD, band history, cool covers, "flamenco bass," the Fender Jazz and more ..."

http://fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=78
Information is the currency of democracy.
Rich M
Bouncer

Postby GLJeff » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:19 pm

His bass lines seem to effortlessly roll along, awesome grooves. How he can sing while playing like that is beyond me.
GLJeff

Postby GLJeff » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:05 pm

I can understand where he's coming from regarding the Steinberger. I had a Trans Trem model. Even though I could down tune it to D, C or B it still lacked bottom end. They play very well though.
GLJeff

Postby oneluckyguy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:21 pm

How old is he? First deal in '74? I remember first hearing of Rush watching TV late one night stoned as usual on my parents floor (Don Kirshners or something) and they were playing live. I remember two things about it:

1) I liked it
2) Raving the next day (visualize total stoner voice) to my friends "Man, did you hear that band last night? The guy sang higher than Zeppelin!"

To which Shep replied "Yeah man, that guy can't have any hair on his balls or something"

Been a fan since, although stopped listening mid-90's or so for the most part. Just restarted recently.

:toke:
"The validity of online quotes should always be questioned" - Abraham Lincoln
oneluckyguy

Links: www.zuperchicken.com

Postby WalCustom » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:46 pm

I've loved Geddy's playing ever since a school friend lent me Exit Stage Left and Moving Pictures in... what... 1982? Awesome player.

I had my very own "WE'RE NOT WORTHY MOMENT!" at Wembley earlier last year when the Rush behemoth rolled into the UK...

Thing is, a friend at work then commented. "Hey Trev, in that photo you look like you've been kidnapped and held for ransom by a prog rock band!"

And a few other Walnuts were there too (Mike Guiterrez and Chris Franklin)...

WalCustom

Postby GLJeff » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:04 pm

Who's the Angels fan? he needs to turn that in for a Bo-Sox jersey [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
GLJeff

Postby lasteffect » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:34 pm

To quote Matt Stone's character in Orgazmo, "Dude, Geddy Lee... Greatest Bass Player Ever".

Well, if not the greatest, at least one of the greats.

After sometime spent on the bass, I tripped up on some more Rush tunes, besides of "Tom Sawyer" and "Closer to the Heart", which were the only ones I heard off old Southern Rock stations. Picking up Rush's first album all the way to Signals, 3 live albums and , and Snakes and Arrows, I've grown to love Rush. Signals and Paramount Waves are my most favorite of albums.

With in the though of tone, Geddy's midrange drove me away from the Iron Maiden Metallic crunches or the KoRn low ended double kick sounds and into something very dry and tonal. The brilliance of not being used as an after affect and hidden right under a second guitar, Geddy became a lead bass player. And after hearing his loud dirty and tonal-melodic clean sounds, I was hooked in.

I got a Rickenbacker because of Geddy Lee, I'd get a Wal, but heh... I don't have that kind of money on me and the time to search for the right one.
lasteffect

Postby ~lightwaveryder~ » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:51 am

great video link pete !!!!
geddy is my all time most influential player .

here's malignant narcissism live (extended version) he talks about in the interview.( i guess this is a home brew job, not live. still cool)

[youtube][/youtube]

mods..can someone fix that link??

~lwr~
"The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff."

Dr Carl Sagan

~lightwaveryder~
~lightwaveryder~

Postby GLJeff » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:54 pm

Some great playing in this song.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
GLJeff

Postby rr.ritchie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:03 am

bringing this back from the dead

because it should be on record that the RUSH acceptance speech at the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was the best...ever. Day in and day out these three guys must be the best power trio in the history of the world. After decades and decades and still touring and still together and still happy...
rr.ritchie

Previous

Return to FAME