Jack Bruce

Who are your heroes? This is the place to tell all who inspired you to gravitate to the low frequency passion and share knowledge of the greats.

Jack Bruce

Postby harleyyy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:09 pm

An influence than most realize.

"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby rockinrayduke » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:13 pm

With my band The Sunkats I channel JB a LOT. The Cream reunion was wonderful though Jack was kind of frail but I'm happy at how his playing has evolved yet still has his style. So good to see him getting (almost) as much attention as that guitar player guy. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
rockinrayduke

Postby Trane Francks » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:31 pm

It was great to see him playing so much fretless at the reunion concerts. Brilliant stuff!
trane
Trane Francks
Bad Ass Admin

Postby Mike » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:24 pm

One of my two All-Time Favorites! I was happy to exchange a few words with him during the Friday Abert Hall reunion show . A true gentleman and a true Master. I recall years ago when I first heard him--I was inspired and motivated to learn bass. All hail His Jackness!

Mike

PS I was surprised this thread was so far down the list. C'mon, Jack Bruce fans--speak up!
But the rainbow has a beard.

Models 1917 and 29 Man
Mike

Location: NYC State of Mind (In A Second Amendment Kinda Way)

Jack F**king Bruce

Postby MickeyOne » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:24 pm

One of my 2 favorites also along with the late Felix Pappilardi.
And to think, Jack did most of his damage on a short scale.
MickeyOne

Postby Jerry » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:32 pm

More love for both Felix Pappalardi and Jack Bruce here. Along with Andy Fraser of Free, I just loved their tone and playing. I never had a Gibson bass, put I did throw a Humbucker in my P-bass as a kid because of those guys.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Things We Like

Postby Bob_Fusillo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:18 am

Jack Bruce is an amazing musician. Most associate him with Cream or other power trios he's played or recorded with, but his range is astouding -- he's recorded with The Golden Palominos, Tony Williams Lifetime, Carla Bley, Michael Mantler, etc, etc. Some of my favorite Jack Bruce recordings are the Kip Hanrahan records, where he was usually playing "bass" bass to Steve Swallow's "rhythm" bass.

P.S. I have heard rumors that Felix Pappalardi actually played bass on some of the Cream recordings, when Jack was indisposed.
Time is money, kid. Get out of my dressing room!

--Ike Turner
Bob_Fusillo

Postby Jerry » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:49 am

+1 on Kip Hanrahan, great stuff!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:36 am

Jack has been my bass god since his early endeavors. Seeing him many times, with Cream, Jack Bruce and Friends, is what got me into bass. I saw him at the Bottom Line in NYC when Eric made a guest appearance. Both his Cream farewell at the Garden his Cream reunion some 40 years later. Many times at BBKings, the Fillmore East, the Academy, Roseland.

Hell, I even bought his Warwick Jack Bruce LE bass.

Had he played guitar back then, no one would know who Eric is!

Brilliant musician, great vocalist and writer.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Re: Jack F**king Bruce

Postby KT88 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:46 am

MickeyOne wrote:One of my 2 favorites also along with the late Felix Pappilardi.
And to think, Jack did most of his damage on a short scale.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Jack and Felix were the players who first turned me on to bass playing. In my bedroom with Cream at brain-mashing volume on headphones, it was always Jack's basslines that held my attention. Sadly, I never got to see Cream in person (by the time they'd spilt I was only 10 years old), but at the age of 13 I did see Mountain at Liverpool's Stadium - the 'Flowers Of Evil' tour. Blew me away, they did - and I ain't come back yet! To this day, I still get goosebumps whenever I hear that signature Pappalardi/SUNN grind. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] Image
KT88

Re: Jack Bruce

Postby GLJeff » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:22 am

I heard he used Marshall guitar amps and Marshall 4x12's back in the 60's, any truth to that? I think his modern rig is a Hartke, using Warwick fretless basses.
GLJeff

Postby KT88 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:43 am

Spot on, Jeff. Marshall heads and 4x12s. Check out the youTube footage:

http://www.youtube.com/v/FI8SUc2SV4k [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Not too sure about the silly hat, though... [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
KT88

Postby BassAss » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:38 am

Jack was my musical education...I got turned on to Cream as a 13 year old beginner, and every time I got interested in a genre of music after that, Jack was there holding the door...

Hard Rock/Metal - West, Bruce & Laing
Progressive Jazz - solo
Avant Garde - Bley, Mantler and Hanrahan
Fusion - Lifetime, Soft Machine, McLaughlin
Blues - Graham Bond

...on top of which he is one of the great pop/rock singers, a completely unique songwriter and a classical cellist! It's a damn shame people only know him for Cream.
BassAss

Postby MickeyOne » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:57 am

.........and speaking of Cream.

I picked up the Bruce Baker Moore CD-Around The Next Dream after Gary's untimely demise.

Wow! Echoes of Cream without that guitar playing guy. It's very good.
MickeyOne

Return to FAME