David Hungate

Who are your heroes? This is the place to tell all who inspired you to gravitate to the low frequency passion and share knowledge of the greats.

Postby noahvale » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:43 pm

He's been first a first call bassist every since he went to Nashville. Nice guy too. I exchanged several emails with him. I was looking through a used record rack at a flea market and there was a North Texas State Jazz Band record. He played bass on it. I emailed him and told him about it. When I was in college studying music, the NTS Jazz Band was legendary. Several people I know went to grad school there.
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby nolabass » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:11 pm

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Jerry » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:09 pm

There sure are a lot of great players that come from the North Texas State lab band! Chris Maresh comes from there too. Hungate is a wonderful player!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Re: David Hungate

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:54 am

Hell, no mention of his work with Toto? Their first four albums were great. I especially liked "Turn Back."
I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can.
I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it....
seek knowledge from those wiser....
and teach those who wish to learn from me.
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Postby oogie boogie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:44 am

He's definitely a quintessential pocket player. I remember an article where he explained Nashville charts. He's a smart guy and a good communicator. Enjoying the interview. Thanks for posting it!
oogie boogie

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:42 am

A gem from Turn Back...

I've always been a HUGE Toto fan from way back. Great band.

I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can.
I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it....
seek knowledge from those wiser....
and teach those who wish to learn from me.
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Postby Jerry » Thu May 15, 2008 10:03 pm

I was listening to Silk Degrees today, everytime I hear this album it still blows me away with the perfect note choices Hungate makes for the songs. 'Harbor Lights' is a clinic in tasteful use of double-stops. Incredible stuff!!!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby El Tookay » Wed May 28, 2008 9:44 pm

Jerry wrote:I was listening to Silk Degrees today, everytime I hear this album it still blows me away with the perfect note choices Hungate makes for the songs. 'Harbor Lights' is a clinic in tasteful use of double-stops. Incredible stuff!!!

A big +1. "Lowdown" is the standard of '70's P-bass tone that I judge all others by....
-Craig M./......mantra:-" StanleyGeddyOxStu JacoPinoRoccoDuck'n'Chuck"
El Tookay

Postby pathdoc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:22 am

North Texas has a very good music program. About 4 years ago I recorded a jazz group, all 18 year olds, all had been to summer music camps hosted by UNT. They were killer players and sounded like seasoned veterans in their 50's.
Back to the topic, always loved the tasteful music Toto produced. Killer group in every way. Hungate could keep up with anybody in the business.
Home of vinecrestaudio.
pathdoc

Postby chuckroast » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Harbor Lights - very tasty.

Listener's notes on Low Down:

Two Bass Tracks. Yep - headphones don't lie.
Two High Hat tracks.

Still tasty, but back in the holiday inn 6 nights week day, made us work awful hard trying to copy that stuffs.
chuckroast

Return to FAME