Steve Harris

Who are your heroes? This is the place to tell all who inspired you to gravitate to the low frequency passion and share knowledge of the greats.

Postby Johnny_B_Badd » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:46 pm

I got to catch Maiden's show. Amazing, simply amazing. And yeah, Wanda kicks ass on those Harris parts. She's solid on the chops and tone! Another all female band I got to catch was Hells Belles hailing from Seattle. Both are fantastic tribute bands chock full of talent! And I'd drive hundreds of miles to catch either of their shows again. Based on them being just too damned good not to!
Tube Amplification and a Full Range cabinet. Life just doesn't get any louder... :)
Johnny_B_Badd

Postby spideyjg » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:49 am

I am so digging the new CD A Matter of Life and Death. This CD has masterpieces on it! Longest Day is now one of my all time favorite Maiden songs.

The DVD that comes in it with the recording of documentary is really good and very funny.

I was less than thrilled with the last 2 CD's but this one is awesome.

Jim
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby shamus63 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:02 pm

spideyjg wrote:I am so digging the new CD A Matter of Life and Death. This CD has masterpieces on it! Longest Day is now one of my all time favorite Maiden songs.

The DVD that comes in it with the recording of documentary is really good and very funny.

I was less than thrilled with the last 2 CD's but this one is awesome.

Jim

I'll have to check this one out for myself...lost interest with everything after "Powerslave". Maiden was on a great roll, though, from the self-titled album to that one!

[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
"Don't play it if you don't feel it." - James Jamerson
shamus63

Links: Basses:
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
'84 Squier Japan Precision
Yamaha BB300

Rig:
Ampeg B2-RE
Ampeg SVT-410HLF
=o7o

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:25 am

shamus63 wrote:Those tireless triplets...

That's the thing with this cat! I've tried to work in the ring finger on my right hand-I just don't have the dexterity to pull it off with the clarity and speed he does!

Amazing stuff.

7th son is my overall favorite album.
"Moobs Mute Strings"
Monkeyboy

Postby spideyjg » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:36 am

Monkeyboy wrote:

That's the thing with this cat! I've tried to work in the ring finger on my right hand-I just don't have the dexterity to pull it off with the clarity and speed he does!

Amazing stuff.

I started using my ring and can keep up using it. I asked Wanda if she uses her ring finger but she doesn't and neither does Steve according to her and the Maiden keyboardist Michael Kenny. [smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif]

Bar none Steve is one unique bad ass player and writer.

Jim
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby Monkeyboy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:18 pm

Oh...DAMN!!! He get's triplets out of two fingers?!

I wrongly assumed, as well as many other bassists I know that he used all 3 fingers?!

My appreication went up 10 fold of his playing now, knowing it's just amazing dexterity and technique that I can actually aspire to have!
"Moobs Mute Strings"
Monkeyboy

Postby higher1 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:36 am

spideyjg wrote:
Monkeyboy wrote:

Amazing stuff.

I started using my ring and can keep up using it. I asked Wanda if she uses her ring finger but she doesn't and neither does Steve according to her and the Maiden keyboardist Michael Kenny. [smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif]

Bar none Steve is one unique bad ass player and writer.

Jim

Great writer indeed, and definitely a major influence on me.

I have seen maiden many times. My memory says to me that he uses 3 fingers on those rolls. I could be wrong, but it's un-likely.
http://www.higher1.net
It's all in the fingers... BOOM!
higher1
Global Bouncer

Postby shamus63 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:22 pm

Steve's featured in this month's "Bass Player" mag...a "killer" read!

[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
"Don't play it if you don't feel it." - James Jamerson
shamus63

Links: Basses:
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
'84 Squier Japan Precision
Yamaha BB300

Rig:
Ampeg B2-RE
Ampeg SVT-410HLF
=o7o

Postby spideyjg » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:47 pm

Went and watched Maiden Saturday night in Irvine. They still play with energy rivaling men half their age. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

They played their new CD in the entirety start to finish and about 5 old songs. Some folks were not happy with that but the guys were having a blast with the new material.

Throughout the show Wanda and I were checking out all Steve's technique and just were floored on The Legacy at how hard he was working that bass.

Still one of the best damn live acts out there and kudos to them to not sit on the laurels of the old material. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
As someone said they are a creative current band not a nostalgia act.

Jim
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby MAIDEN 69 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:32 pm

He only uses 2 fingers. He just lets his ring finger hang there giving the illusion of him using 3. I was lucky enough to have met him twice in Sacramento. The World Slavery Tour, 4th of July @ Cal Expo Amphitheater. Then at Arco Arena for the Somewhere on Tour tour. The first time I met him I asked the question about his plucking and he told me it's just a natural rhythm for him. He was a very cool guy and to day is still my idol. I must say, He (as well as all the others) are very tiny guys. I am 6'4" 260lb and I was shocked at how small they were. Yet, when you see them live, they are GIANTS.
I was just at Irvine a few months ago for the new tour. I knew they were playing the new album so I made sure I knew it front to back. I loved it. I was lucky enough to be 4th row center on the left isle. If you know the Verizon, you know how close that is. It was worth the drive from Sacramento to see them. I found a pic online shot by one of their roadies that me and my buddies are in it. Cool. I was also 3rd row up in Sac when they played Ozzfest. That was incredible as well. I got to see 2 of my favorite bassist play back to back. Harris & Butler. Wow! I have never missed Maiden when they came close to me and I will never in the future. Maybe I will get lucky and see them in England someday.
If we can post pics, I would love to share a few. Someone let me know if we can. I'm new to the forum and am not sure how.
Why can't I play like Steve Harris????
Oh yeah, he's a bass god!
Sucks being a mere Mortal......
MAIDEN 69

Postby MAIDEN 69 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:50 pm

First, here is my plate that I had on my 66' Mustang Fastback in Highschool. When I met them the first time, I had them all sign it. Bruce did not. He did sign his book for me though.

Here are a few shots from the last couple times I saw them. I wish I had a camera back in the day. I was always against the barrier, front row pit, watching Harris and Dave Murray. The shots I could have had. I didn't even get pics when I met them. How sad. Anyway, enjoy.
MAIDEN 69

Postby MAIDEN 69 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:02 am

A Matter of Life and Death at Verizon, Irvine.

MAIDEN 69

Re: Steve Harris

Postby SKATE RAT » Thu May 31, 2007 5:13 pm

steve rules!runnin' free yeah.
ROCK N ROLL PIRATE,SKATE PUNK....'72 SB-450, '75 P-BASS, '76 RIPPER, '77 GRABBER3, '78 T-4O, '82 RIPPER, '92 LPB-1, RAT FUZZ & BAD ATTITUDE!
SKATE RAT

Postby Simpleman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:58 am

Holy Shit!!!!! Those Pics kick some major ASS!!!!
MySpace
" I just wanna say, that when my time comes, I hope I am buried face down, so that anyone who doesnt like me, can kiss my ass."--Red Forman
Simpleman

Postby MAIDEN 69 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:46 pm

Not sure why, but when the forum got redone the pics I posted got cropped off on the right side. Harris was cut off! How can the moderator let this happen????????
Harley, what's up with this?
MAIDEN 69

PreviousNext

Return to FAME