Berry Oakley

Who are your heroes? This is the place to tell all who inspired you to gravitate to the low frequency passion and share knowledge of the greats.

Berry Oakley

Postby Mike Childree » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:41 am

...was my #1 influence. I've borrowed and recycled so many of his licks and grooves, many times without realizing it until later. If you removed the Berry Oakley from my playing, my style would be unrecognizable.

Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Templar » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:51 am

Couple weeks ago I ran into a dude who claims to have been in "The Shanes" with Oakley in '65.

Evidently Oakley was originally a guitard. This cat (Larry Panaga) says he still has one of Oakley's original business cards from the early 60's. According to Panaga, Berry was somewhat of a freelancer operating out of the south suburbs of Chicago (Park Forest ?).

I loved Oakley's playing with the Allmans, always thought he was the key contributor to the "momentum" in the Allmans sound. He and JPJ are trapped in my head......forever, I guess.
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:29 am

He was indeed a reformed guitard. Thanks be to the Lord for his redemption!
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Jerry » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:45 am

Berry Oakley's well is a place I draw from heavily since I began playing, the inspiration I draw from it never dries up. Tone/feel/taste/chops......man, he had everything!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Mike Childree » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:12 am

Jerry wrote:Berry Oakley's well is a place I draw from heavily since I began playing, the inspiration I draw from it never dries up. Tone/feel/taste/chops......man, he had everything!

...and MOJO....Berry had the MOJO, truckloads of it.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby onamission » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:21 pm

That's a great picture of Berry playing the "Tractor". Talk about Dark Stars, thats one of those Guild Starfire pickups in that JBass of his.
onamission

Postby Jerry » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:06 pm

I just received and finished listening to the Allmans Bothers live at Macon City Auditorium CD, it was recorded during their short "Five Man Band" period. I saw again them right before Berry died, but by then they had just added Chuck Leavell. This is the period where Berry even stepped up more than before, way out-front. Just great stuff! I hate to always be the "back-in-my-day" guy, but these guys just ruled!

I also just got the Allmans the following year with Lamar on bass, and haven't listened to it yet. They have these two CD sets at the Hittin' The Note web-site for a pretty good price, I just can't get enough of vintage smokin' bass. [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Mike Childree » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:26 am

Hey, I'm another "back in the day" kinda guy myself, Jerry....I'm right in there with ya! Thanks for the tip....gonna check out HTW and get one for myself!

Here's a question for you....how many times have you thought "I could play shit like Berry, if I only had a band like that!". I like to kid myself like that sometimes. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Jerry » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:27 pm

Mike Childree wrote:
Here's a question for you....how many times have you thought "I could play shit like Berry, if I only had a band like that!". I like to kid myself like that sometimes. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

LOL, last night after I posted, I put the CD's in my practice set up and played along thinking almost the same thing. I even used my Fender Roscoe Beck and a pick. I always kid myself. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

I'll probaby save it for another thread but, I always wonder if I wasn't such a musical mutt, I would be able to maybe totaly master one style, if you know what I mean? [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Postby Bob_Fusillo » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:44 am

My favorite Berry Oakley line is "Leave My Blues at Home." It's sort of backwards, notewise.
Time is money, kid. Get out of my dressing room!

--Ike Turner
Bob_Fusillo

Postby Jerry » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:44 am

"THIS ARTISTIC HOLOCAUST EVEN MAKES ORNETTE COLEMAN SOUND LIKE PAUL MCCARTNEY!!!

--From an on-line record review"

side note/ Bob, what album are they talking about? It sounds like something I would dig.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Postby Bob_Fusillo » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:27 pm

Jerry:

That quote is a user comment on the Blue Note Records website. He is referring to one of the early Tony Williams albums -- either "Lifetime" or "Spring," both of which are pretty outside.

--Bob

--Ike Turner
Bob_Fusillo

Postby Jerry » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:40 pm

Bob_Fusillo wrote:Jerry:

That quote is a user comment on the Blue Note Records website. He is referring to one of the early Tony Williams albums -- either "Lifetime" or "Spring," both of which are pretty outside.

--Bob

LOL, I have and DIG all of the early Lifetime albums.....perfect!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Postby Bob_Fusillo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:16 pm

Jerry --

Since you like "out" music, you'll appreciate this: One of my cats likes Eric Dolphy. I've been listening to "Out to Lunch" and the cat listens very intently to Dolphy's solos and Tony Williams' and Bobby Hutcherson's banging.

--Ike Turner
Bob_Fusillo

Re: Berry Oakley

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:12 am

Any of you guys who know me from the Pit know I am an Oakley FREAK. I built a Tractor replica in his honor. The neck plate is even special on mine. Look familiar, Mike?

Last edited by BigDaveOnBass on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can.
I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it....
seek knowledge from those wiser....
and teach those who wish to learn from me.
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Next

Return to FAME