Bass Cabinets, crossovers & tweeters

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Bass Cabinets, crossovers & tweeters

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:30 am

Hi

When did bass players decide they needed a horn or tweeter in their cabinet? I'm currently playing thru an Aggie 112 , a Mesa Walkabout or a SWR Spellbinder, with a horn and crossover. It's crappy that the crossover limits the woofer from high frequencies. If one attenuates the tweeter/horn the woofer is not doing a full range and it sounds wrong. Any way to remedy this other than re-wiring the woofer directly and by passing the crossover?

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Re: Bass Cabinets, crossovers & tweeters

Postby redstaraudio » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:10 pm

It's not always a sure thing that the crossover circuit will include the woofers. In many cases, if the woofers will naturally roll off in a way that compliments the high-pass and horn/tweeter, then they won't have a low-pass circuit attached to them and will be running in full range. It all depends on how the manufacturer wants to tune the sound, and to a great degree the costs involved. In any event, the only way to really tell is to get in there and trace the circuit paths.

Most high frequency drivers were designed into cabs when players requested more snap and high end response when playing slap style, and as part of a movement in the late 70s and early 80s towards solid state amps with a more hi-fi sound. An example would be SWR. This is our opinion, others may have different perspectives on the history/reasons.

Hope that helps!

Michael
Redstar Audio
www.redstaraudio.com
redstaraudio

Postby 57RIP » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:51 am

Seems to me that in the vast majority of commercial cab's I hear the crossover and tweeter are a complete afterthought *. I'm currently playing around with a 15 + 6 design. This is a 3015 that sounds pretty decent on it's own. The mid driver I'm using is a B&C rated from 200 hz to about 6K. Best place I've found using an active crossover is somewhere between 600 and 800 - and that is for a 15 that I like as a solo cab... The bare 15 isn't even close to the sound of the 15 + 6.5. I'm really kinda suprised at how much I miss the 6.5 when I run the 15 bare again...

* There are a few cab's I've heard that are 2 way or 3 way that I really like - Bag End and Accugroove come to mind. There are probably some others but there are a bunch that I find really harsh. Makes you wonder whose ears they were abusing when evalating the cab for production ... probably some cost accountant...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Freddels » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:49 pm

I thought the Bag End's were one way (no tweeter, no mid driver, just a woofer). [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby ghiadub » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:56 pm

I have one of those Bag End 210 cabs with the coaxial 10". It pretty much kills. Very smooth treble.

I prefer the Bag End s-15s though and use them 80% of the time. Tweeters? We don't need no stinkin tweeters.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:26 pm

I agree. No tweeters. I forgot about those co-axial drivers that Bag End uses. I always think of it more like the Wizzer cone in the EA Wizzy.

I have one S15-D and would like to get another. I would also like to check out the S15B-D b/c it's supposed to have more low end. I may not like it more than the S15-D but I'd still like to hear it. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby eno55 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:14 pm

BluesBassPlayer wrote:Hi

When did bass players decide they needed a horn or tweeter in their cabinet? I'm currently playing thru an Aggie 112 , a Mesa Walkabout or a SWR Spellbinder, with a horn and crossover. It's crappy that the crossover limits the woofer from high frequencies. If one attenuates the tweeter/horn the woofer is not doing a full range and it sounds wrong. Any way to remedy this other than re-wiring the woofer directly and by passing the crossover?

Jimi

You know I wonder that too,I find a cab that I like and stick with it for years and then one day i went out looking for a new cab and they all have tweeters and horns..
I think it happend when bass players started using 5 and 6 string basses.. and the slap style players came along and needed more high end, I'am not a fan of tweeters I never liked them or horns but I don't mind a mid driver you know something like a 15 with a 8 mid driver or a 12 with a 6 mid, now don't get me wrong I'am not knocking three way set ups,it's just a matter of taste and playing style.In fact I have been looking for another cab a smaller full-range cab because of back problems ,I have allways lugged around the big cabs and just can't do it anymore and it's hard to find a production cab without a tweeter( I know you can turn them down or off) unless you go custom build....
eno55

Postby Floyd Eye » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:36 am

I can't stand bass cabs with tweeters.
Floyd Eye

Return to TONE