High tension rounds for drop D tuning.

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

High tension rounds for drop D tuning.

Postby spideyjg » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:59 pm

Was thinking of taking one 2K and leaving it at drop D tuning. Anyhow I haven't seen a round that had stoopid high tension ala the Steve Harris flats.

For a special show I had to tune one of Wanda's SB-2's, strung with rounds, down to drop D and it was waaaayyyy to floppy for my taste but IME I haven't seen a round that had much more tension than any other but maybe one of youse guys has.

Anyone run across one?

Jim
Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Re: High tension rounds for drop D tuning.

Postby ghiadub » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Jim - I have a bass tuned down to B, but I just put on a thicker string. You might try a 105 or a 110 if you don't want to re-cut the nut.

I have not been able to find much string tension info on the web, but if you make it into a music store a lot of string makers have the tension on the package.

Hope that helps
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby groovemachine » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:29 am

Here's one option:

http://www.juststrings.com/rts-sbl115.html

There are lots of other brands and gauges available as separate strings through juststrings.com so you can dig around there a bit, I just linked to one I've used when tuning down to D.
groovemachine

Postby Crasbo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:56 pm

I tried the DR DDTs and they work well for this application and sound great to me.
Crasbo

Postby Johnny_B_Badd » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:26 am

Nice to see I'm not the only Drop D player around here. So I've been dealing with this issue for years. I've mostly used DR high beams, and they have a nice sound and tone to them. Right up until you've played them for a bit and drop the lever on the hipshot and the E is a floppy mess. Nothing like having that pickup pop from a sloppy string. :) I recently bought a FrankenJazz (Warmoth body, USA Fender Neck). I slapped a new hipshot on that and left the Smith strings in place. They worked for the most part, but as every other string I've tried, they too became a floppy mess when dropped.

One day while at Sam Ash, just looking to see what they had on their wall of bass strings. I noticed those Billy Sheehan strings. Buy one get one free, I decided "why not". I strung the FrankenJazz up and sure enough, these strings worked. Yeah, they were new, but they had a nice attack and growl to them out of the box. After about a month, still no problems with the E string. Trust me, I play these basses every single day, so they get well used.

I decided to give these strings a shot on my Eflat tuned bass (G&L SB1) with a drop tuner. And they worked as expected. Again, after a months use, still no flop and slop. Thge ONLY issue I have with these strings on this bass is, they're way too bright. Love the growl and attack, just not the overall brightness. I know, the maple fretboard won't help in this matter. :)

Thus far I've installed 4 sets of these strings on 4 different basses, and they work. So far the first two sets have gone like 2 months without issue. Not a single E string pop from any flop and slop. The other two basses, well, they're still kinda new, so there shouldn't be any issues. :)

I was a hard core DR string user. Right up until I got sick and tired of the excess string play while dropped. DR strings are great strings, don't get me wrong. Just not for my style of playing.
Tube Amplification and a Full Range cabinet. Life just doesn't get any louder... :)
Johnny_B_Badd

Postby ghiadub » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Johnny, who makes those Billy Sheehan strings you speak of?
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Nedmundo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:22 am

Yeah, the round core DR strings are on the floppy side, but the hex core Lo-Riders are stiffer and would be better for drop-D, especially the steels in a heavy gauge. (Then of course you have the DDT strings designed for drop tuning.) When I began using drop-D regularly in my last band, I switched to Fender's 8150 (maybe 8250?), 45-110 with the taperwound E string. I wanted the heavy E string specifically for drop-D, and they were excellent. I'm not sure the new formulation introduced in the past couple of years will be as effective, but they'd be worth a try.
Nedmundo

Postby TomA » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Jim,

DR’s drop-down line of strings have the heavy gauges you’re looking for (one set is 55-115) but I sold a set to our own dukeplaysbass, and he did not like the sound at all. Just an FYI...

La Bella makes a Drop Tune set gauged 54 75 90 111 (cat #DT54). They’re the renamed M70 set from the Hard Rockin Steel series.

Ken Smith makes an extra heavy set of Burners (nickel plated rounds) 50-115.

Tom
Last edited by TomA on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomA
Resident String Man

Postby harleyyy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:13 pm

ghiadub wrote:Johnny, who makes those Billy Sheehan strings you speak of?

Tim, I don't think Billy Sheehan has touched any strings other than Rotosounds. [smilie=coz.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Johnny_B_Badd » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:52 am

Sorry about not getting in here all that often. Yes, the Sheehan's are all Rotosound strings. A slightly heavier string than I like, but they still stretch easily.

I've used DR's for what seems forever. Since they first hit the market. And yes, they are nice strings. They're more than adequate for players who are straight forward in their playing. I'm not that kind of bassist. And if anyone is using a Hipshot, they're not that kind of bassist either.

We all have a preference on strings. Hell, we all have a preference on basses. And on our sound. These Rotosound Sheehan's really work for me. I'll pass on a lighter gauge for a more solid string for my playing needs.
Tube Amplification and a Full Range cabinet. Life just doesn't get any louder... :)
Johnny_B_Badd

Return to TONE