What rounds?

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

What rounds?

Postby harleyyy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:19 pm

TI Super Alloys and Dean Markley Blue Steels for me. What are you using?
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Armybass » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:28 am

Well, since you asked....I am a string freak. I am currently using all of the following Rounds at any given time. All nickel too.

Lakland
Dr Lo Riders
Fodera
Roto Sound

mmmm, think that is all.
Armybass

Postby Dave W » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:29 pm

I use either Ernie Ball or D'addario nickel rounds. But thanks to Johnny Alien, I now have a set of Curt Mangan nickel rounds in the on deck circle. It's a relatively new company, Johnny says Curt Mangan was with D'addario for years.
Dave W

Postby nolabass » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:12 am

Man, hard call. I like Lalands on my Laklands but have not settled on my Dark Star or other basses. TI flats on most my basses but rounds are a hit and miss thing. I think the bass will dictate the final choice. I tend to lean to Rotos, GHS and Xls. Mostly nickles.
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby jhp » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:49 am

Hmm... I haven't settled into what really works yet. I play d'addario groundwounds on my active fretless, and I've been running steel rounds on my J to keep up the aggressive sound. It's strung with Flea sigs right now, which sounded amazing for about 10 hours. Next up is Warwick black label, I remember loving them last time I tried.
-John

This moment contains all moments - C.S. Lewis
jhp

Postby Trane Francks » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:24 pm

So far, TI JR-344 Jazz Rounds on mine, although I have a set of Fender Nickle Rounds on my MIM Std Jazz and that thing has some serious balls with 'em. Generally, I like the very smooth feel of the 344s, but I'm starting to consider trying a slightly heavier set, assuming that they're as gentle on the fretless fingerboard as the JRs.
trane
Trane Francks
Bad Ass Admin

Postby noahvale » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:50 am

Rotosound nickels are all I use. I used to use TI Superalloys, but I have issues with the midrange sound on them.
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

round wounds

Postby Barklessdog » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:56 pm

For my RD, which is really bright, I use Carvin round-wounds. They bring out the mids of the bass.

Roto's sounded like crap on it, sounding like tin, then they unraveled. crap strings

On my T bird & Thunderbird I like Ken smith round-wounds medium or light gauge.
Barklessdog

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:05 pm

TI Powerbass on mine. Or TI Jazz Flats.

It's a mood thing. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

Ken...
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Postby Johnny Alien » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:30 pm

Dave W wrote:I use either Ernie Ball or D'addario nickel rounds. But thanks to Johnny Alien, I now have a set of Curt Mangan nickel rounds in the on deck circle. It's a relatively new company, Johnny says Curt Mangan was with D'addario for years.

Curt was with Ernie Ball for years before starting his own company. I am a huge fan of these strings especially for the price. Are they still treating you well Dave??
Johnny Alien

Postby Dave W » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:48 pm

So far, so good. I've only played them several hours so far (on my MusicMan SUB) but I like what I hear. Not a drastic difference, but my impression is that they have slightly beefier mids than the Ernie Ball without overdoing it. I can't stand over-prominent mids, I just like a good balance.
Dave W

Postby hmagman » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:00 pm

TI PowerBass, first choice these days.
Harry
hmagman

Postby doombass » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:01 pm

D'Addario nickels here. If I'm out on them and the local store too I settle with Ernie Ball nickels with Fenders as the third choice.
doombass

Postby Dave W » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:36 pm

Now that I've had 'em on awhile, I definitely like the Curt Mangan nickel rounds better than EB Slinkys.
Dave W

Postby HornetAMX » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:16 pm

I like both DR Stainless LoRiders and Rotosound RS66 which have been a longtime favorite since 1979.
HornetAMX

Next

Return to TONE