What rounds?

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Postby Dave W » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:14 pm

Are you talking about that Epi EB-1 project bass? Or something else?
Dave W

Postby Dave W » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:16 am

70s Japanese Epi? Long scale? I imagine an .089 E would be floppy on a short scale.
Dave W

Postby PrestiaFan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:00 am

Been using Ken Smiths on all my basses. I recently got a Peavey Cirrus that was strung with Elixirs; I like them but they are really pricey.
"One thing that I've found, I'll still be diggin' on James Brown": Tower Of Power
PrestiaFan

Postby BigMike50L » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:12 pm

Ima 5-stringer using mostly Elixir Nano web coated strings and I've been pretty happy with them. Any five string suggestions?
Chances are, you owe James Jamerson money.
BigMike50L

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:58 pm

I use Light GHS boomers for rock and slap, Extra Light GHS Boomers for slap and tap and light TI Jazzflats for that oldschool vibe.

I cant stand heavier strings - yucko [smilie=vomit-smiley-007.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby spideyjg » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:16 pm

I mainly run TI Superalloys but on a lark bought a set of GHS Fatties at Guitar center for $10.

My G&L Climax was lifeless and the sound wasn't moving me but didn't want to waste a $30 string set if there wasn't a marked improvement.

For a $10 string set they kick ass! I highly recommend them to you gear whores who have basses coming and going as a cheapie test string. Rather than judging a bass with dead strings get some of these.

Pretty bright but decent fundamentals, tuned up to pitch, they settled very quick, and are holding a tune quite well.

The Climax will stay now.

Jim
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby Setnakt » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:29 pm

I use SITs. Heavy on the low end. Actually I wouldn't mind heavy high strings either, but we'll see. (They're also the only company I can get strings from with the range I need, but whatever.)
Setnakt

Postby Templar » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:16 am

D Adario nickels here. The tension and feel seems right for me, and they sound pretty good after the zing goes away.

Cheap too, at $12 a set.
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby ken woodward » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:39 am

I use Laklands on my laklands, and DR Low riders on my others. Ernie Balls on the my music man basses. (They seem to work the best on Musicman basses), and DR Fat's on my aluminum neck kramer. I really don't think there is one string for every bass. It only took me about 35 years to figure that out. Ken
ken woodward

Postby oogie boogie » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:56 am

A custom guaged light set of Boomers on my 6.

.116, .100, .080, .060, .040, .030 in extra long scale, but all tuned down a whole step. I play with a very light touch most of the time, and use the same axe with the same setup for all of my techniques in all of the different settings I find myself playing in. That said, I'm constantly amazed at new tones and characteristics I'm finding just about every time I pick the instrument up.
oogie boogie

Postby TomA » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:11 pm

I recently put a set of La Bella Slappers on my P and absolutely fell in love with them! I use the SN47 set which has the same gauge as the set that comes with MIA P's and J's (45-110). Nickel wrap over stainless core, tapered construction. F*ckin roundwound sweetness. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

Tom
TomA
Resident String Man

Postby kennans » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:03 am

I'm a long time Flat player, but this new gig pretty much requires a Roundwound tone, so I bought a set of DR's on the suggestion of the GC guy. Nice, round tone, zingy high end, I figured I'd have to change them every couple of weeks.

So here I am, a month into the tour, and even though I got a half dozen sets of strings free from Dean Markley, I haven't changed the DR's because they still sound great! Pretty amazing.
kennans
Road Dog

Postby no4mk1 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:26 am

TI Powerbass.

I've got D'Addario chrome flats on my converted fretless Peavey, but I'm not to happy with them.

Cheers,
Chris
---What Would Duck Dunn Do?---

no4mk1

Postby abngourmet » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:54 am

DR Hi Beams on all my basses, .40-.100.
Good Guys Guitars ... when you absolutely, positively have to have a bass in Iraq within a week!
abngourmet

Postby ClarkBass » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:54 pm

i had been using d'addario for years until a couple months ago i tried a set of rotosound swing bass set and i really like them alotand pretty much plan on using them exclusively
"Its all in the hands"
ClarkBass

PreviousNext

Return to TONE