What rounds?

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Postby no4mk1 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:26 am

TI Powerbass.

I've got D'Addario chrome flats on my converted fretless Peavey, but I'm not to happy with them.

Cheers,
Chris
---What Would Duck Dunn Do?---

no4mk1

Postby abngourmet » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:54 am

DR Hi Beams on all my basses, .40-.100.
Good Guys Guitars ... when you absolutely, positively have to have a bass in Iraq within a week!
abngourmet

Postby ClarkBass » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:54 pm

i had been using d'addario for years until a couple months ago i tried a set of rotosound swing bass set and i really like them alotand pretty much plan on using them exclusively
"Its all in the hands"
ClarkBass

Postby Armybass » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:25 pm

DR, Lakland (GHS), Smith.
Armybass

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:16 pm

Superalloys.

Period.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby spideyjg » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:42 pm

Superalloys for me currently as well.

Tried a set of DAddario XL's awhile back and there is some funky reaction and my fingers get some icky looking black stuff when I use them but not the Superalloys. [smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif]

Jim
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby mrdak » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:29 am

TIJR364, with the 118b from a set of JR345..
or TIJF344 for mu P bass. Also Blue Steels ML 45-128
I would use RS66's if I could get two sets in a row that were good. RoTo's QC is pretty lame IYAM
If I had all the $$ I spent on strings over the last couple years, I could get a nice new 55-94.
mrdak

Postby Armybass » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:25 pm

II just put my first set of DR's on in almost two years. These are once again at the top of my list. I did not realize how much electric strings could effect playability. I guess doing the URB string search over the last year has opened my eyes to just how much of a difference that strings can make. I just changed strings on my Stingray and it is like a whole new bass with a set of DR Lo Riders. I used only DR's for years and forgot how much I liked them
Armybass

Postby cloneskin » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:21 pm

DM Super Rounds in medium (50-105) for me, thanks! We live 2 1/2 miles from the factory and cannot find these in this area--had to send to NH to get them. The price was good and the strings rock!
"For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet, II.ii

Michael Clausen
cloneskin

Postby PeppermanL2K » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:08 pm

Ken Smith Rockmaster Mediums on both my L2000 and SUB5! Luv em! [smilie=cool-smiley-030.gif]
Phil

John Entwistle 1944 - 2002
"Heaven just got a little louder..." - Kenny Howes
PeppermanL2K

Postby jefbar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:54 am

DR Nickel Low-Riders on my G&L. I wish D'Addario still made Slowwounds - they were my favorite on my Yamaha BB800. My fretless Jazz copy is currently wearing Chromes, but I've got plans to change them to DR Sunbeams.
Jeff
jefbar

Postby Aragorn35016 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:42 am

Ive been using Daddario prosteels for about a year now and really enjoy them. Theyre really bright and seem to last that way for about 2 and a half months of constant play before I change them. They're alittle rough feeling new but after about a week you get used to them.
Aragorn35016

Postby Armybass » Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

I just put a set of DR Sunbeams on my fretless. These have been the strings that I have always used on fretess basses and I totally dig the feel and warm nickel tone.
Armybass

Re: What rounds?

Postby groovyw53 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:09 am

i still haven't found my favorites.
i tried fender and they sounded pretty good, also d' Addario were good
i put on a set of DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams last christmas but they sounded like shit
couldn't get a good tone on my Jazz Bass, low volume , and i found like some string were louder than others and i got mad with my amp EQ but they still sounded bad. finally after a couple weeks i changed 'em. maybe it was just a bad set [smilie=fun_84.gif] think i should try Low-Riders or Hi-Beams
so far the ones i liked more were Ernie Ball Slinkys and GHS Boomers

i think i'm gonna try some Rotosounds or Low-Riders, since i've seen lots of you love 'em

[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
"Going to the jungle where the elephant roams
Got to get away gonna make it my home"
groovyw53

Re: What rounds?

Postby bnyswonger » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:45 am

I use Ken Smith SS taperwounds on pretty much everything. They're bright, but it's a lot easier to roll some treble off then find harmonic content that isn't there.
Holding it down since you was a baby...
bnyswonger

PreviousNext

Return to TONE