Great sounding cheap mics.....

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Great sounding cheap mics.....

Postby spideyjg » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:28 pm

I was up at Orange County Speakers the other week picking up some cables and on a lark bought one of their $30.00 SM-58 clone mics.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mercha ... icrophones

Getting prepped for the Halloween haunted house I broke out my Sennheiser E 835 which was my best vocal mic and compared to this cheapie and dammit the cheapie has a crisper sound, more dynamic range, and holds it's own if not exceeds the performance of the Senn which runs 3X the $$! [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

I do have to get the Mrs to sing into it for a full eval but I am more than impressed with the bang for buck here. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Tempted to replace my Senns with these and get the SM 57 clone also.

Gil, what is the word on the street on these for durability?

Jim
Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Re: Great sounding cheap mics.....

Postby Eejif » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:33 am

Great find! Sometimes the cheap ones will surprise you. Look at Rode, they make a tube mic (and a bunch of other great stuff) as good as any Neumann for a fraction the price. I guess it's just paying for the name. I dunno.
Eejif

Postby aussiemark » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:04 pm

The JTS 58 copies are very good as well. They also do a Beta 58 copy.
aussiemark

Postby Gil Escalera » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:33 pm

spideyjg wrote:Gil, what is the word on the street on these for durability?

The GLS mic's are very durable, especially for the price. For those who can look beyond a name, these mics are great. The Shure 57 and 58 are old industry standards that typically garner more respect/credence based more on name and/or nostalgia then on actual results (I too am guilty of this). There are A LOT of better mics for the same scratch or less out there then the standard 57 and 58, and the GLS's prove that [they have better frequency response].

An interesting twist to these mics [which use to be the OEM for Radio Shack mics] is their "dual" impedance capabilities. They actually use what is considered a medium impedance element of 300 ohms. Therefore you can wire them for balanced low impedance (XLR) or unbalanced high impedance (1/4"). This was a cool thing back in the day since pro p.a.'s were low impedance and low end (affordable) p.a.'s were high impedance. OR... if you were a harp player, you could wire the mic for high impedance (1/4") to plug into your amp. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

I've been recommending these to small churches and beginning bands (teens) for years. I don't have any myself because the name "Shure" brings comfort to most musicians. I'm the Tech Director at my church, and for that very reason I have Beta 58's and SM57's as our GP mics.

IIRC, Harmony Central has a boat load of (favorable) reviews on these.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby spideyjg » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:58 am

Thanks Gil. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] Your seal of approval carries a lot of weight.

I saw some of the very positive HC comments and that is why I grabbed one. The rubber meets the road tomorrow at the haunted house for this thang. Planning on using it and my best Senn ,the e835, in the same area and give a critical listen.

Jim
Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby Ljazz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:14 am

So, how did the mics work out?

I picked up the package deal on 3 of the 58's, and 3 of the 57's. I've had them one year now, and they are going strong. Our vocalist actually prefers this to his Shure sm58, because as you noted, it's a lot crisper.

The 57's are sweet too! Great on guitar cabs, and for snares.

Thus far, I haven't found anything about these mics that makes them any worse than the Shures! They're proving to sound at least as good (in some cases, better), and they seem to be every bit as durable.

Great buy! I'm thinking about another set of 3 each..... Heck, 3 of these for the price of one Shure!

Ljazz
Ljazz

Postby Ljazz » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:26 am

Okay, so I bought three more of the 57's. And I'm glad I did. We had a young kid fill on drums the other night, and we didn't bother to ask if he had mic's for his kit. Kinda of just assumed he had mic's. He had nothing. So, I broke out the new 57's..... 57 on the snare..... 57's overhead.... and, {gasp} a 57 on the kick. The kid hit the kick during soundcheck, and I was blown away! Certainly not a d112, d6, or a beta 52, but for live use, it did an incredible job.

And I was wrong on the price..... 3 of these are less than one SM57. 3 for 80 bucks. You just can't go wrong with these.
Ljazz

Postby cripula » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:48 am

The Advanced Audio mics are a real bang for the buck. he takes the chinese mics and puts quality guts in them.
I got a 47fet and it's quite impressive. A local studio here has a bunch of his mics, owner says the 47fet compares very well with the real deal. $5000 vs $300... [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

fet47.jpg

Another friend has his CM12 with the Peluso capsule and swears by it.
http://www.aamicrophones.com/
cripula

Postby Floyd Eye » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:40 am

A very nice and inexpensive bass cab mic is the AKG P2. About $100.
Floyd Eye

Return to TONE