EMG JVX Jazz Pickups

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

EMG JVX Jazz Pickups

Postby hmagman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:43 am

I'm trying out a set of the EMG JVX pickup set on one of my jazz basses...lots of positive buzz on the setup.

More to follow... [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Re: EMG JVX Jazz Pickups

Postby hmagman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:35 am

I'm a Believer! The hype online is pretty much all true for these JVX pickups...

Very satisfied [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby ghiadub » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:56 am

Interesting. What would you compare to tone to?
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Gil Escalera » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:42 am

I had an opportunity to give the JVX a ride, and I agree with Ed Friedland's review (Guitar World, May 7, 2010):

Bass Whisperer wrote:These new pickups may be the ultimate bridge between modern clarity and vintage grit.

Not exactly "vintage" enough sounding for the ultra-purist, yet not overly "modern" sounding either. Nice middle ground which would give you a lot of versatility from one bass.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:48 am

Gil Escalera wrote:I had an opportunity to give the JVX a ride, and I agree with Ed Friedland's review (Guitar World, May 7, 2010):

Bass Whisperer wrote:These new pickups may be the ultimate bridge between modern clarity and vintage grit.

Not exactly "vintage" enough sounding for the ultra-purist, yet not overly "modern" sounding either. Nice middle ground which would give you a lot of versatility from one bass.

- Gil

Agree with Gil...

Check Ed's EMG video online, his presentation is very accurate to the sound variations. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby gimmeagig » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:39 pm

I have a Modulus Jazz and a 74 Jazz Both of them have the EMG BTS Circuit.
The Modulus had the "original flavor" EMGs and the 74 Fender Jazz had a set of JVX pickups. I really like the sound of the JVX in the Fender but I wanted to hear what they might sound like in the Modulus and they were a big improvement over the originals. Since I had the originals out anyway and no soldering is required I put the original EMGs into the 74 Jazz , just to see what the difference might be. To my big surprise the Original EMGs sound a whole lot better in the 74 Jazz than they did in my Modulus. BTW bot basses have the same ABM bridge, 70s spacing and DR Hi Beams.
With that swap both basses improved in tone a whole lot. So yes the JVX pickups are great but the results will vary depending on what instrument they go into and don't count out the Original EMGs. They are killer pickups too
gimmeagig

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks for the info
and welcome aboard!
[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby ghiadub » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:17 am

Are those the EMG's that Bobby Vega helped design? Kinda lower output, passive?
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby gimmeagig » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:58 am

The JVX pickups have a very high output. The standard EMGs have less output but still more than traditional pickups. I have used many different pickups and preamps but the EMGs combined with the BTS EQ are the best, and you can install them so easily since there is no soldering involved.
gimmeagig

Return to TONE