Nordstrand Pickups

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Nordstrand Pickups

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:01 am

Can any of our resident builders or Nordy users please weigh in on the various differences between Nordy pickup options.

Specifically, what are the tonal differences between the double coil, the fat stacks, and the big singles?

I'm feeling GASsy again....
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Re: Nordstrand Pickups

Postby ghiadub » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:28 am

I have used all three in various basses. I the DCs are great if you want a lot of options like coil splitting and series/parrallel.

My faves are the Big SIngles.

IMO, overall their sig pickups have a slight scoopy sound due to being flat. What I mean is that most pickups have a mid bump, and the Nordy sigs do not.

YOMV.

I have a set of these on my Sadowsky and they pair very well with the Sadowsky Preamp. As aggressive as I would ever want but can be dialed back to sound vintage(y).
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby hoytbasses » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm using Nordstrand exclusively in my builds and have for about three years now. My personal favories are the big singles, fat stacks and humbucker in that order. Big singles, being wide aperture pickups really 'hear' the string (kind of like the p-90 of the bass world) The fatstacks are great all around pickups and the humbuckers are aggressive without being mucky sounding IMO.

they have a clean sound, not as muddy as barts, not as annoying as EMG's ( though I do like emg jazz's when you get into the mix of a live band)

I've only installed three preamps to date but They too have a cleaner, clearer sound than the bart preamps. They have a good adjustable gain and nice mid points using a pull pot.

If Stew McKinsey is lurking about he can fill in the gaps of my experience.

My main reason for choosing them is that they are great folks to deal with, can do custom winds and spacings for we lootyers, the wait time for an order is reasonable and the customer service is excellent.

just my 2c

have a great weekend, go Patriots!

p.s... the explore cloneI just delivered has a customs wound Nordy guitar humbucker, wound medium hot. GREAT rock and roll humbucker!
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby jshilgebass » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:54 pm

The 'Tard must go and check out the Nordstrand Pickups website for any and all descriptions of their wondrous pickups. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I have two Lakland 55-01 basses with Nordstrand Dual Coils and Nordstrand 3-band preamps. One has DCs wound in series, the other has DCs wound in parallel. Both basses also have switches for series/parallel/single-coil to take full advantage of the pickup's capabilities. I have another set of Dual Coil pickups (parallel wound) waiting to go in a third 55-01 bass, but I have yet to decide on a preamp for that one. My Hoyt has Nordstrand Fatstacks, of course, and aKrl put in a pull up switch on the tone knob so I can get humbucking and single-coil operation.

I have had face-to-face dealings with Carey Nordstrand and his boys at their shop, and they are a great bunch of folks.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Cheap Bass Tard » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:37 pm

The tard already has just such a Lakland equipped with the DCs, coil tap, and a Bart preamp.

Very interested in the sonic differences between the DCs, Fat Stacks, and Big Singles.

I am seriously contemplating getting something custom built. We have a couple of very fine luutyers on this board and I may be inquiring of them later next year - finances permitting. I am hoping to thin the heard to a single fretted 5 and a single fretless 5.
USACG J-bass, P-neck, Nordies w/3-band Aggie pre
Atkinson Custom J-bass, P-neck, Nordy Big Singles and 3-band pre.
GB Shuttle 9.0, Uberbass 410
Cheap Bass Tard

Postby cripula » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Well I'm very late here, but I have Sadowskys with both Big Singles and Fat Stacks. The FSs are wired to choose single coil or HB mode. In HB I find them VERY smooth and polite - too polite for me. Even in SC mode I'm just not getting what I want out of them... and what I want is for them to sound just like Big Singles!
I do like them much more in SC mode, but they still don't have the grindy top and "notes jump off the fretboard " presence the BSs have.
The BSs have a "snarkiness" that I love. They are great pickups.

YMMV but my FSs are coming out and BSs are going in.
cripula

Return to TONE