DR DDT's

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

DR DDT's

Postby ken woodward » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:34 am

I'm finding myself doing some down tuning these days to D. After carrying around 2 basses, I decided to try out the DR DDT's. Being as I normally use .045-.105 DR High Beams, I opted for the .055-.115 DDR's. After setting them up on my MM Sterling, and getting them tuned to the normal pitch, I down tuned them to D,G,C,F. I was amazed at the clarity and tone quality. The only problem I ran into was the almost reversed neck relief when downtuned.(Duh). I guess you have to find a happy medium for neck relief to accomodate the problem. I think the strings are great, and I can see me using them on a down tuned bass, but as for me,it looks like I'll still be taking 2 basses to the gig. One with standard tuning, and the other with the DDR's downtuned to D. Anyone else run into this issue? Maybe if you used them on a beefier neck such as a P bass. I strung these up on my Sterling, with the narrow neck. I'm sure they would perform better on heavier neck. Ken
ken woodward

Return to TONE