Latest Configuration Change in the Search for Tone

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Latest Configuration Change in the Search for Tone

Postby charII » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:18 pm

May 2 update:
Tried it out with the Jack Casady bass last Saturday, it has only one pickup, so ran a patch cable from channel A input 2 to channel B input 1. Still has that elusive tone I have been searching for. If you are in the SF Bay Area, will be at Lou's this Thursday and Danville Friday.

April 10:
Had about an hour of spare time with sunshine and decided to cut the wires to the horn in the 2x10 avatar cabinet. Took a look at the wiring and jacks on the plate, it has 2 x 1/4" phone jacks plus a speakon all wired parallel. Hmmm, so cut all the wires to leave it at one 1/4" jack goes to one speaker and the other 1/4" jack goes to the other speaker. Now why would I take a perfectly good cabinet and mess with it?

A long time ago, when the pickups were changed, I had the bass wired stereo (2-pickups) and played through 2-channel amp and assorted speakers. That equipment is just too heavy to move around these days for the gigs I am doing, so its in storage. Back to the Future, here is the setup.

Guild Starfire II with Hi-A pickups (stereo out, neck and bridge pickup)
Alembic f2-B preamp (tube - 2 channels)
Crown D-75 one-rack power amp, 35 watts per channel
into the 2x10 cabinet which is now like 2 single 10s.
Fairly light rig and a quick setup to plug in.

Played at 3 different venues and really digging the tone. Had a friend sit in an play for awhile so I could walk around and listen in the audience.
Charlie "High Tide"
charII

Re: Latest Configuration Change in the Search for Tone

Postby charII » Sun May 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Beer four: It's been over a month of steady gigging and really happy with the tone coming out of the setup.
Its simple yet complex; explaining it seems to elicit glazed eyes.
Mr Charlie "high tide"
charII

Return to TONE