Do you record dry?

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Re: Do you record dry?

Postby MoBeach » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Depends on what it is. If it's strings or piano I'll add a little reverb while tracking, but dynamic effects like compression or expanders I'll add later through the aux returns to whatever track... There's no harm in adding effects while you're tracking, just know exactly what you want to do, and use decent studio monitors so you know exactly what's going on.
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.
Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head through Genz Benz cabs.

Re: Do you record dry?

Postby MoBeach » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Rhian Batson wrote:
Mike Childree wrote:Electric bass...dry. If I'm tracking URB with both a mic and a DI, I'll sometimes add a bit of compression and strategic EQ to the direct track...especially if the engineer is clueless about how to record URB (which is most of the time).

How does one record URB? I have no clue. [smilie=coz.gif]

I would use a combination of condensers at different angles and distances, you can filter through them and see what sounds best, and also combine them because different mics have their own characteristics, you can take your best sounding mic and put it in the center, another mic that picks up the lows better can go right about 2 oclock, and send the mic that does well with the highs to the left. Balance it out then bounce it to a single track. Assigning dynamic or special effects to these three different tracks before bouncing can add to the presence as well.
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.
Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head through Genz Benz cabs.

Previous

Return to TONE