Do you record dry?

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Do you record dry?

Postby SmittyG » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:34 am

Getting more serious into the home recording thing. Since my "interface" is also a multi-effects unit, I usually just set the sound I want (amps, EQ, effects, whatever) and then record it. I have been told, however, that it would give me far more control and options if I were to record totally dry and then use the recording software's effects plugings to modify the sound. What is your take on this?
SmittyG

Links: http://naradaweeps.bandcamp.com
http://facebook.com/solobassist

Re: Do you record dry?

Postby Jerry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:58 am

Dry, you can add effects later.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby ghiadub » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:22 am

Dry like the desert. If not into the board directly, thru a preamp (studio or other) then to the board. I have split and mic'd my amp but I have never used the track, the dry board recording is usually the best sound.

If I am using an effect that is based off my envelope, I might record that since it will effect how I play and hold the note. ANy delay or eq or dist effects get added later when mixing or reamping.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm

Jerry wrote:Dry, you can add effects later.

+1 [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby nolabass » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Dry as well....
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Gil Escalera » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:30 pm

DRY

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby nolabass » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:22 pm

To be clear I use/monitor effects when I record....just don't record them to the track....the track stays dry. I assume you realize this but worth mentioning.

As well it might depend on the type of recording I am doing....sometimes with sparser songs I am the last thing to record and there is no harm in recording the effected bass track.....but it does hurt flexibility down the road.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby SmittyG » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:43 am

Very worth mentioning, never heard of monitor effects before.
SmittyG

Postby ghiadub » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:46 am

Smitty, NOLA is talking about running his effects on the insert channel of his monitor or headphones instead of into the recording.

He hears the effects the same, but they are not on the actual recording.

The standard practice is for vocals to get some reverb in the cans (headphones) when recording.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby nolabass » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:57 am

Correct...poor grammar. I monitor whatever effects I need.....reverb or compression or..... while recording but do not commit the effect to track.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby SmittyG » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Ah, my bad. I get it now.
SmittyG

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Ahh bummer so late to the party. I typically record dry but when I want to or the idea is to get a sound that has a spontaneous, uncontrolled "live" quality I'll track FX live. Done it many times with great effect.

Depends on what you want.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:04 pm

Electric bass...dry. If I'm tracking URB with both a mic and a DI, I'll sometimes add a bit of compression and strategic EQ to the direct track...especially if the engineer is clueless about how to record URB (which is most of the time).
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:14 pm

Mike Childree wrote:Electric bass...dry. If I'm tracking URB with both a mic and a DI, I'll sometimes add a bit of compression and strategic EQ to the direct track...especially if the engineer is clueless about how to record URB (which is most of the time).

How does one record URB? I have no clue. [smilie=coz.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:52 pm

Rhian Batson wrote:How does one record URB? I have no clue. [smilie=coz.gif]

Usually a large-diaphragm condenser at the bridge, about a foot away..maybe a little to the side, if that's where the sweet spot is. Then a small-diaphragm condenser, like an SM-81, pointed at the base of the fingerboard or maybe a bit higher...depends on how much string slap you want to capture. Many times if the player has a good pickup, a DI signal will be tracked as well but it lacks all the good "air and wood" qualities that the mics have...you mix in just a touch of the pickup to fill in any fundamentals that drop out. Often though, an inexperienced engineer will want to primarily use the direct signal because it's more familiar to his ear...but those signals have a TON of transients that he won't be able to control....hence the compression on that signal.

There you go...more than you ever wanted to know [smilie=fun_84.gif]
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Next

Return to TONE