Flatwounds?

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Re: Flatwounds?

Postby ampig » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:19 am

By looking at the repair, I'd say it's probably 20 years old at least. Not cosmetically beautiful but solid. Because of where the split was, I'd say string tension shouldn't be an issue. I just remembered the most basic and obvious of old school tricks - I put some foam rubber up under the bridge cover. Now the Low E really thumps, especially the open E.
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:34 pm

I dig TI's and chromes. The chromes are a teeny bit higher tension and bit darker but all in all quite similar character IMO. The TI's if you were ever in a situation where you needed to do hammer ons or bends above the 12th - well they do this weird sounding fuzzy harmonic thing ... but how often are you going to tap out a solo or play above the 12th on a P bass (or tele) with flats [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

I loves me some flats. Never dug the high tension or dead thumpy no sustain sound though.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby DaveyG67 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Chromes were my favorite flats until I discovered the Sadowsky flats... they are sublime IMO... similar in tension to the Chromes but a little brighter until they are broken in. Best of both worlds, nice fat low end but have a nice clarity to them.
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Re: Flatwounds? DRs

Postby jamie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Love DRs after using Chromes on the SB-1.

Sound mo' musical to my ears.

jamie
jamie

Previous

Return to TONE