Has Your Tone Evolved?

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Has Your Tone Evolved?

Postby Mike Childree » Thu May 02, 2013 6:41 am

I was listening to a bunch of old live recordings and it struck me how my preferred tone has changed over the years. I've never really used a lot of different sounds on gigs, and just went with whatever seemed right at the time. I've gone from a really detailed, hi-fi tone to a really round old-school sound today. Playing upright seems to have been a big watershed moment in my tonal preferences. It's also made a big difference in my choice of instruments.

Anyone else noticed this for themselves? Was there any certain reason, or just a gradual shift?
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Re: Has Your Tone Evolved?

Postby nolabass » Thu May 02, 2013 9:42 am

I did the same. Partly because I gained more experience in the recording process. Realized it works better for me to stick to my sonic space, rather than crank mid EQ to be heard over other instruments. Also creating more of a total sound playing with other musicians as opposed to focusing on my sound. I think it sounds better now, but I thought I had good tone then too. Flats and old nickle RR strings for me.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Thu May 02, 2013 4:46 pm

I was thinking about this the other day. When I was young, I never even thought about tone. Maybe it was b/c I got the tone I was looking for without trying. I don't remember. I just know that I played a Pedulla bass into a Sunn 2000S head, into an Ampeg B-15 fliptop cab (the amp was missing when I bought it). I bought this rig when I was just out of high school and had it for many years. It just seemed to work when I plugged it in.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby TheOdd0ne » Thu May 02, 2013 5:31 pm

I noticed that when I record I almost never use my fingers, it's always a pick. I also always take off a good chunk of the highs. Usually my tone is along the lines of Geddy (distorted and bright), however when I record I usually prefer a (only slightly) rounder, cleaner tone. Normally the pick is the opposite, but I find that the consistancy of a pick trumps the warmth of the fingers when recording.
Every musician my age who hates "new amplifiers" has clearly never moved a 120lb amp around...
TheOdd0ne

Links: Basses
Ibanez ATK200 (currently strung BEAD and tuned to ADGC)
Custom Zon Legacy copy project (currently in the shop)

Guitars
Ibanez RGA7 (Tuned a whole step down to A)

Amps
Digital plug ins!!!

Postby GonzoBass » Thu May 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Mike Childree wrote:I've never really used a lot of different sounds on gigs, and just went with whatever seemed right at the time.

I guess I'm still at this point,
although it can be influenced by who I've been listening to at the time or what the gig/song calls for.

I'm use to setting the amp bright and then using my tone knob, fingers or thumb to get what fits.
I also carry a pick.

So, has my tone "evolved"?
I'd have to say, not really.
"Tone" is a very fluid concept here...
[smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby steveonbass » Thu May 02, 2013 8:48 pm

I could argue that my tone has devolved - and for the better.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Fri May 03, 2013 4:51 am

I'm still going for the same tone as I did back then but now it's called "vintage". [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Rhian Batson » Mon May 06, 2013 4:30 pm

I play with tone all of the time but I would say that the plug n play tone in my head is the same and has been for a very long time.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby ghiadub » Mon May 06, 2013 11:34 pm

I find that I seem to care less about the amp or speaker and focus more on how my sound fits into the music.

I would say that I used to just have "my sound" and it was what it was. Now I tend to be more of a chameleon, but most of my "fitting in" is with my fingers.

If I am playing loud, I like a fair amount of clarity to cut thru, but now I seem to find situations that are much lower volume and call for more space so I tend to have a darker sound.

never really thought about it until reading this.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby FatherGino » Tue May 07, 2013 1:05 pm

ghiadub wrote:f I am playing loud, I like a fair amount of clarity to cut thru, but now I seem to find situations that are much lower volume and call for more space so I tend to have a darker sound.

That makes sense, sorta like the loudness control on a stereo that boosts the low end (and high end) at low volumes. It's hard to get a "darker" sound at high volumes without getting mud.
There are two kinds of music, the good kind and the other kind. I like both.
FatherGino

Links: www.drivetime.us

Postby Jerry » Sat May 11, 2013 12:26 pm

I spend a lot of cash on gear, but for better or worse I still sound pretty much the same. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] I also play through a fair amount of backline of different quality every year too, and it's the same. Some just makes me happier than others, I'm still pretty stoked when I show up at a backline gig and see the same rig I used in the mid-80's, a GK800 and Hartke 4/10.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby MickeyOne » Sun May 12, 2013 5:18 pm

I always gravitated toward big fat vintage tone. Played through a B-15N on a Rick with flats once and chased that tone for years.
Now, I seem to want leaner and cleaner, while still loving and sticking to P basses and low mids. But now I use Markbass gear and the
lightest flats available.
MickeyOne

Postby GonzoBass » Mon May 13, 2013 12:51 am

Jerry wrote:I'm still pretty stoked when I show up at a backline gig and see the same rig I used in the mid-80's, a GK800 and Hartke 4/10.

Yep.
I still see my old 400RB from time to time around town in supplied backlines.
I recognize it by the scars and the replacement plug I installed after an unfortunate tailgate accident...
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Golem » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:13 pm

ghiadub wrote:I find that I seem to care less about the amp or speaker
and focus more on how my sound fits into the music.

I would say that I used to just have "my sound" and it was
what it was. Now I tend to be more of a chameleon, ....

Yup. I can't say my tone has "evolved" ... "Mutated" maybe
but evolved, like into a "more successful species" ? No way !

Axchoolee, "My Tone" can't evolve, devolve, revolve nor
really mutate ... cuz I have no "my tone" and thaz not an
accident but is conscious intent from Day One. I chose to
play bass as a musical supporting role, from the beginning,
and therefore have always sought after "what works", not
"what's mine".

OTOH, I know what I DON'T wanna hear, from me or any
other basser, and thaz brite, cutting and/or klanky tone.
Also, I'm aware that I usually choose the word "voice" or
"voicing" when discussing "bass tone" ... perhaps cuz I've
come to feel that the word "tone" is too often used by
players as a sorta shorthand for "My Tone" [their tone].

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby groovemachine » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Yeah, I find my tone evolving lately as I've gotten involved in a roots reggae project. Playing with other musicians that actually respect space has me rethinking everything. I'm used to pushing a ton of mids and playing in dense mixes where people aren't necessarily playing busy, but lots of sustaining stuff and I had to have low stage volumes in those situations and lots of mids and cut lows made it easier to hear myself.

Now, getting to play with some guys that get the "less is more" thing I'm finding that a nice fat low end tone is preferable for me as it helps me stay out of their way and I'm not competing to be heard in the mix as there's lots of space.

Here's kinda what I was trying to sound like for so long:

P-bass w/rounds and Model P pickup

...and now I kinda wish I would've played my jazz with flats on that gig!
groovemachine

Next

Return to TONE