Compression?

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Re: Compression?

Postby FatherGino » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:58 pm

So I bought the Diamond BCP-1 and took it to three gigs so far. Still trying to get used to it. It's somewhat primitive control wise having only three knobs. One is just output volume which I've been using just to adjust the compressed signal to the uncompressed signal. #2 knob is a "tilt" EQ which I think is somewhat useless with all the tone control I already have with the amp and an active bass. This knob set to 12 o'clock is supposed to be disengaged or you can actually open the unit up and diable it with a switch.

#3 is the amount of compression. There's no input gain on this unit so the stronger the signal you feed it from the bass, the more it will engage the compression. I'm not sure if a lower volume from the bass and dialing in more compression on the pedal would yield the same thing as a higher level from the bass and less compression on the pedal. It's hard play with it too much at a gig because a relatively slight change in either makes a pretty drastic overall volume change.

It's interesting but at this point I don't know if it's worth the trouble. It might well be a different story with a passive bass. I can definitely get too much effect where a well dug in note yields an artificial pop kind of thing. The right amount of this can be somewhat musical. It reminds me of my old SWR amp that would have a sharp, distorted pop if you dug into a higher note. I was never sure why the SWR did this, the limiter perhaps responding to a spike? I kinda liked it though.

It does add a certain depth/fullness/clarity to the bass as a whole, especially further up the neck. It's hard for me to describe. The question for me is if I dial it in to be the most transparent, will it be audibly any different than nothing at all? It seems worth the effort for further experimentation and I'm curious what it would do with my fretless which hasn't gone out in public for a while now.
There are two kinds of music, the good kind and the other kind. I like both.
FatherGino

Links: www.drivetime.us

Postby Rhian Batson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:47 pm

Mike Childree wrote:I've never been able to get happy with compressors. When I dig in hard, I want the damn thing to bark....comps seem to remove that presence I need.

Agreed. I don't use them for live gigs but I will use a touch in the studio. Glad you got one Gino [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby groovemachine » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:50 pm

I generally prefer just going straight bass-cable-amp and not mess with other stuff. However, lately I've enjoyed using the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone. I don't use it every gig and I took it out of my gig bag, so I might not use it for a while again, but it's cool. I think the feature that really makes this compressor work for me is that it has a blend knob. I keep it right in the middle, so I'm getting my dry sound mixed with a compressed tone. I get some fatness and sustain, but still retain some natural character and attack. The one I've got also has a germanium distortion circuit so I can add a little bit of grit for fun!
groovemachine

Previous

Return to TONE