Carvin PB5 Pickup

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Carvin PB5 Pickup

Postby hmagman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:07 pm

I tried a Carvin PB5 passive bass today... Wow! This passive p-bass pickup is special. I initially thought that the bass was active, great tone, etc. I'm planning to buy a SCP split coil pickup to check out in one of my basses. BTW the PB5 bass is a real player at a reasonable cost point. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Re: Carvin PB5 Pickup

Postby Freddels » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:10 pm

I have a Carvin SB4000 and it's a great bass. I was just looking at the P pickup and it appears that the same pickup is for 4, 5, and 6 string (although they don't make a 6 string P)
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby hmagman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Freddels wrote:I have a Carvin SB4000 and it's a great bass. I was just looking at the P pickup and it appears that the same pickup is for 4, 5, and 6 string (although they don't make a 6 string P)

I think you're correct about the same pickup for the 4 and 5...

I plan to stop by Carvin tomorrow and buy the SPC split coil for a check out! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Freddels » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:23 am

Cool, you'll have to let us know how it is. I've watched some youtube vids of the bass and it sounds very good. Lots of positive reports on TB too.
Freddels

Postby hmagman » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:46 am

I installed a Carvin SCP pickup in one of my 4-string P-basses... the change in tonality is dramatic. Tone is warm and has presence throughout the range of the tone pot. This passive pickup setup does have the presence of an active pickup as I have read online, WOW! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] The quality of Carvin's pots (volume/tone) is superior in my opinion. I installed Carvin volume and tone pots and their tone capacitor. These components are smooth throughout the range, no off-then-on surges in volume, quality stuff.
Harry
hmagman

Postby Freddels » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Freddels

Return to TONE