Pickup suggestions for my Lull PJ5?

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Pickup suggestions for my Lull PJ5?

Postby Mike Childree » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:33 am

Hey Guys....hoping somebody here can offer some suggestions. I have a Lull PJ5, that plays like a dream, perfect weight...everything about it, physically, is just right. My only issue with it is that the stock Duncan pickups seem to be a little too mild-mannered and "scooped" for my needs. I ran into the same thing with my Lull P5, and switched out the stock pickup with a Delano. I just can't remember how much it improved things. One of the main issues is that when I go from fingerstyle to slap, all the transients seem to get really compressed and don't jump out like I'd like....same for when I dig in and need a bark (my stupid terminology...sorry). Seems to be an overall lack of midrange response.

I know I could just use another instrument, like an L2500 or Stingray, but I really like playing this one. The B string is like a hammer...best I've ever heard. It's all passive, which I prefer.

Anybody have any suggestions for a PJ5 pickup set that would give me some more midrange and aggression-on-demand?
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Re: Pickup suggestions for my Lull PJ5?

Postby bigfatbass » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Karl talked me into a set of passive PJ nordstrands for my bass he is building. I have high hopes!
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby Mike Childree » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:51 pm

He sent me the same suggestion for this question. If the Nordstrand big Split ( a P split coil) he put in my hollow body is an indicator, you'll be real happy.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:27 pm

Dimarzio Model J and matching P have a deep humbucker tone to them. The new Aquilar P/J set is getting good reviews too. Also, chat with Harry about the new Carvin P pickup as he's just put one in his bass. They have a matching J for it.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby ghiadub » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:25 pm

If you go for a vintage tone, I think Mike used to use the the Lindy Frailins. All the lulls I have owned had them.

I dig the nordys myself, but they seem a little scoopy. Not sure how they compare to the Dimarzios.

This website is great for comparing the differences in some pickups:

http://www.basstasters.com
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:36 am

Freddels wrote:Dimarzio Model J and matching P have a deep humbucker tone to them. The new Aquilar P/J set is getting good reviews too. Also, chat with Harry about the new Carvin P pickup as he's just put one in his bass. They have a matching J for it.

Yes, the new Carvin P pickup is outstanding IMHO and a definite upgrade for my stock passive P-bass. I plan to check out the matching J pickup in the near future. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby groovemachine » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm a big fan of the Model P, but that doesn't come in a 5-string. I'd trust Karl's recommendation as he understands a good passive P-tone.
groovemachine

Return to TONE