Fret Noise EQing

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Fret Noise EQing

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:56 am

Those of you that are engineer oriented, how do you guys set up a fully parametric EQ to combat "fret noise"?
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Re: Fret Noise EQing

Postby Rhian Batson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Any PEQ with tight Qs or a notch filter should work. That way you can pin point and drop out just the noise and leave the tonality of your bass pretty much intact. http://www.waves.com makes some impressive plugins that do this. Below is a video using waves EQ software. The guy in the video talks specifically about "Q" @ 3:56 in the video. He does a solid job of illustrating how you would notch out a specific frequency by adjusting the Q setting in the plugin.

http://youtu.be/GT34-ZWY518

If you don't have 100+ bucks for waves software (on the cheaper end of what's actually out there) and you're using OSX garageband, there is a free PEQ plugin "AUparametricEQ" included that has a notch filter w/ adjustable Q setting. It's not as tight as others and allows for just one notch per track, but it's definitely usable and it's free.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:42 am

Sorry. My original question is misleading. I know how to use a parametric EQ. Just asking for personal preference for settings that combat fret noise.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby nolabass » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:41 pm

I read it like Rhian. I imagine the particular settings depend on several factors combined. String material, cab, bass, room. String noise is around (2.5 kHz) IIRC. Notching with a Parametric would be first choice.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Yep. I usually (Q @ lowest setting) boost and sweep across focusing in around 1KHz-2.7KHz and listen for any nasties. When located, a tight notch and reverse the boost works to drop them down in the mix. This works for me in reducing unsavory noises. If you're referring to live music, I use a black scrunchie at the nut for unwanted squeaks and overtones or roll the tone back a bit. If it's really gross, I'll nudge the 10b EQ at around 2-3k on my amp at sound check.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:29 pm

Cool guys! Thanks! I've got a solid starting point now.

Reason I ask this is most of my gigs are with one group that tunes down a half step. (I've mentioned this before in other threads.) I hate it. But it's part of the gig. They work regular-like and I can take time off no questions asked, etc etc.

I have been dedicating one bass to the band. If I take a bass tuned "normal" and then drop every string down a half step then the relief/action on the neck gets low and I get real sloppy. And I'm fairly sloppy to begin with. I plan on getting out and drumming up some more work and that means keeping my bass(es) tuned "normal". I mean, I could just have one bass for the group and one bass for other gigs. But it's fun to change it up every so often with gigs and jams and sitting in. Sooooooo....back to the OP: I'm going to try and setup my basses for "normal" tuning and then when I detune I'm going to try and EQ out some of that slop that I get when the relief/action changes due to less tension from the strings.

Make sense?? [smilie=coz.gif]
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:57 pm

Ya I see what you're doing now. I would play around with the set up. Some relief in the neck or perhaps raising the saddles a tad if needed might clean it up for you when you detune the instrument. Also, a light touch helps. Yanno, clean up the signal as much as possible pre-EQ with setup and technique so when you get the EQ, there's not much to drop out (ideally nothing). Best of luck to you.

You might also experiment with a higher tension string?
Last edited by Rhian Batson on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Rhian Batson wrote:Ya I see what you're doing now. I would play around with the set up. Some relief in the neck or perhaps raising the saddles a tad might clean it up for you when you detune the instrument. Also, a light touch helps. Yanno, clean up the signal as much as possible pre-EQ with setup and technique so when you get the EQ, there's not much to drop out (ideally nothing). Best of luck to you.

You might also experiment with a higher tension string?

Ideally I'd just like to de-tune and play. Don't want to fuss with saddle height and all that stuff for every gig.

I do like strings with higher tension. And my touch could use a lightening up, for sure. I'm, admittedly, pretty sloppy.

I've found that some basses have more stable necks. The one I have know and really like have somewhat stable necks. They move when I de-tune. I'm going to try and get a happy medium, maybe, and then use EQ from there. Sound like a plan??
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby nolabass » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:34 pm

I see said the blind boy from Alabama! I wouldn't spend too much time trying to EQ out a mechanical problem. De-tuning the whole neck would normally require a setup in my experience. No way to EQ out string rattle against the neck....I also pull the neck flat a little when the tension is different. When I get excited I pull the neck and get string rattle sometimes. A higher general action might help. Do you like low action? I play med high so i don't run into your predicament as much.
Maybe time for a 5r?
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:04 pm

nolabass wrote:I see said the blind boy from Alabama! I wouldn't spend too much time trying to EQ out a mechanical problem. De-tuning the whole neck would normally require a setup in my experience. No way to EQ out string rattle against the neck....I also pull the neck flat a little when the tension is different. When I get excited I pull the neck and get string rattle sometimes. A higher general action might help. Do you like low action? I play med high so i don't run into your predicament as much.
Maybe time for a 5r?

That was something I had thought about too. Maybe string one of your basses BEAD or go with a 5ver like Pete suggests ? I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with the new Squier 5 string Pbass. At 3 bills, I think it is a lot of bang for your buck. Still, it means lugging a 2nd bass around which is what you don't want to do. Then again, it justifies buying another bass
[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

Mr.Mom wrote:
Ideally I'd just like to de-tune and play. Don't want to fuss with saddle height and all that stuff for every gig.

That was in fact what I was getting at. Yanno, find that set up balance where it's low enough for playing comfortably in standard tuning then when you de-tune, the set up is such (adequate relief and saddle height) that you don't get sloppy string noise.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Postby Golem » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:20 pm

`

My normal tuning is DGCF ... thaz TWO semitones down :-0

I just avoid setting sooper low action cuz, with the reduced
string tension, finger effort is also reduced. So, a bit higher
action is not a pain. And play just a bit closer to the bridge
than you would in EADG tuning, so as not to put the strings
into wider oscillations.

Just some advices from one bass slob to another. YMMV.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Golem » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:31 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:[
Ideally I'd just like to de-tune and play. Don't want to
fuss with saddle height and all that stuff for every gig.

I do like strings with higher tension. And my touch
could use a lightening up, for sure. I'm, admittedly,
pretty sloppy.

If you DO use the same ax for both tunings, you do
NOT mess with saddle height ... only the truss rod,
cuz the only thing thaz different between the two
tunings is the string tension, which is the rod's job,
has nothing to do with the bridge.

If you're gonna jockey the truss rod all the time,
you should get a MusicMan. But MM basses send a
lotta fret sound to the amp ... plus far be it from
ME to suggest that YOU go shopping for a bass !!!!
Therefore, dedicate a bass to remain down-tuned.

BTW, not to trigger a flats-vs-RW thing here, but
flats do buzz less, and the Fender stainless flats
with the green silk are really high tension, which
is acoarst beneficial for down-tuning.

Full disclosure: The only way I've found to fully
eliminate fret noise is at the source. So I got rid
of the source. No ... not the player, the frets !

And ... playing a blank plank is great revenge on
your evil down-tuning geetards. They'll keep on
watching your hands to make sure you're still on
their kool-aid, but they squint and strain cuz it's
hard for them to judge when looking at a longer
neck with no lines or frets. Sdrooth, firsthand !

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks, G. Good advice. Except for the fretless thing. I'm The Worst Fretless Player Ever. Period.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby nolabass » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:12 pm

I just realize my blind boy Alabama joke might sound racist. I was born in Alabama, I was blind to the question AND it's a musical reference. Get it? ba dump bump. :hid:
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:20 pm

nolabass wrote:I just realize my blind boy Alabama joke might sound racist. I was born in Alabama, I was blind to the question AND it's a musical reference. Get it? ba dump bump. :hid:

Didn't think of it that way. Until you pointed it out.

You racist. [smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif]
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Next

Return to TONE