Nordstrand: You guys were right!

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:28 am

Well, by "You guys" I mostly mean Mr. Hoyt!

I recently got the urge to get new gear and thought about updating the pickups on my #1. Got a Nordie NP4. GREAT pickup! Damn! What a sweet, sweet tone!

I really dig the Lakland/Hanson P pickups and they have been my fav until the Nordy came into the house. Nordy is very full sounding w/out being muddy. Clear w/out being shrill/zingy. Very "meaty" tone. The two J's on my #1 are still single coil Vintage Hanson's, which I like a lot. The bridge is 5% overwound and matches the volume of the Nordy very well. Still have to dial in the volume/height of the Nordy P and the Hanson bridge J, but it's very doable. Just need to do a little trial and error with height adjustments.

The pickup is so impressive I'm thinking of ditching my Hanson preamp and just going passive. Maybe a 5 way toggle, Strat style, or maybe on/off mini toggles to control all three pickups? Not sure.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Re: Nordstrand: You guys were right!

Postby Golem » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:...........................

The pickup is so impressive I'm thinking of ditching my Hanson
preamp and just going passive. Maybe a 5 way toggle, Strat
style, or maybe on/off mini toggles to control all three pickups?
Not sure.

Might work passive, might not. All you can say for sure right now
is that your new PU is hugely compatible with your Hanson pre,
at least when judged according to your needs/preferences/ears.

Myselves, in such a situation, I'd leave it right there. I know that
I have a general preference for active systems and would have
little incentive to hear how the PU sounds when naked. YMMV.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby hoytbasses » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:35 pm

I agree wholeheartedly , Bruce:

I just ripped the EMG's out of a guy's late 70's bastardized Precision. He had an EMG P/j set in this precision. the previous owner took a dull chisel and a spade tip drill to make the Jazz pickup route and add space for another pot... AND the previous owner located the J pickup only about 1" from the bridge.... so the new owner was complaining how there was no presence from the jazz pickup.

so......... (I'm old, I can ramble on if I want to [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif] ) I milled out the old Jazz pickup route, filled it, re-cut a new J rout in the correct location.... black lacquer and some new Nordy P/J's.

you should have seen the guy's face when he played it for the first time. All the Bark of a stock pickup set with better mid-highs (but not brittle sounding) and plenty of punch.

the BigFatBass also has a set of 5 string P/j's.... I actually had to use the -10dB pad on my new head..... huge clear, sweet sound and that killer piano tone.

enjoy!

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:29 pm

You know, G, that makes sense. Messin' with sh*t is fun!! Ain't you learned that yet??

I taped last night. Three sets. One with the Nordy soloed. One with the Nordy and the Hanson bridge. One with all three pickups. Same EQ for all three. When I get a chance I'll give a report.

If the recordings are not too terrible I might post a clip or two.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Golem » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:You know, G, that makes sense.

Messin' with sh*t is fun!! Ain't you learned that yet??

Acoarst.

Lately, I gigging a bass uke. Has an undersaddle piezo
but no built-in tronix ... no EQ-pre, no volume pot, no
buffering for the piezo. So natcherly I already has on
hand a numbrov various options to fill that need and
each has its own perznalitty. So, am I saying that the
Kala U-Bass innanov itselves is lacking in perznalitty ?

Uhhmmmmnnn .... YUP !!! But it's a cool flyweight
platform for "Messin' with sh*t".

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby ghiadub » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:15 pm

I love those big singles. I have them in a warmth build.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Here's some live songs from last weekend on Soundcloud. The three songs are labeled. Should be self explanatory.

Recorded on Voicerecorder via a Mackie 1608.

Excuse the mediocre bass playing.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby hoytbasses » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:48 am

That cut of too late baby was great!!!! strong, clean bass playing , I love the guitar player's lines; classy w/o being ostentatious...And the singer has some nice pipes!

you have any cuts of the band tearing it up?

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:50 am

I'm partial to the Pretenders cover, myself. A) I love the Pretenders! B) Nancy, our singer, sounds great on any Pretenders song. IMO.

Guitard is quite the player. And yes: He knows when to NOT play. Which is rare.

As far as "tearing it up", we're not really that kind of band. I'd say the guitard and drummer have the most chops (for lack of a better term) for that type of thing. The keys and singer are strictly play-it-the-same-way-every-time-or-there-might-be-a-trainwreck kind of players. Which is not bad, IMO. Just a different way of approaching music. I DO like to go off in different directions, but I almost never deviate from trying to be a solid, clean, no frills bass player. In all honesty, if I COULD mover my fingers faster, I would! But my body is built around these darned slow twitch muscles. And being middle aged doesn't help my dexterity.

This NP4 is just killin'. Man, I tell ya, I look forward to picking up this bass and hearing the tones. I'm going to follow G's advice and not mess with a good thing. (For the moment. [smilie=fun_84.gif] )
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Jerry » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:21 pm

hoytbasses wrote:That cut of too late baby was great!!!! strong, clean bass playing , I love the guitar player's lines; classy w/o being ostentatious...And the singer has some nice pipes!

you have any cuts of the band tearing it up?

kfh

+1, I dug the band, very tasty playing from everybody!!!! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks, Jerry! And you too, Mr. Hoyt!

I mean, not that I was fishing for compliments! Gosh. I'd never do that. :hid: [smilie=fun_84.gif]
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Rob Francis » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:00 pm

Really nice Bruce.
Can they get a little "dirtier" sounding?
Rob Francis

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:49 pm

I'm sure they can. Only thing I do on the bass for this gig is use a HPF. No other eq or effects.

Plus, I tend to get a smooth/clean tone out of my hands no matter how hard I try otherwise.

I guess I'm just smooth and clean!
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Jerry » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:40 pm

I have fat stacks on one of my Laklands's, they can get a bit of grind if needed.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:29 am

Jerry wrote:I have fat stacks on one of my Laklands's, they can get a bit of grind if needed.

And I've heard those Big Singles can get nasty as well.

Just to clarify: Not all the pickups in my bass (on Soundcloud) are Nordy's. Just the P. The two J's are Hanson Vintage single coils. "I Can See Clearly Now" is the Nordy NP4 soloed without the Hanson's.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Next

Return to TONE