Wireless?

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Wireless?

Postby hmagman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm thinking of checking out wireless for live performance. Any recommendations?
The Line 6 wireless digital gear have been recommended by a guitar player, but I don't know if it will handle bass guitar...
Harry
hmagman

Re: Wireless?

Postby Gil Escalera » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:47 am

Line 6 Relay G30
$199 all day

This is a combo of my thoughts/words and Line 6's (from their website: http://line6.com/relay/wired-tone.html)

The Line 6 Relay digital wireless systems broadcast in the 2.4GHz band, which successfully avoids interference caused by TV stations, public safety broadcasts, cell phone towers, and other high-powered sources. WiFi networks and Bluetooth don't interfere either since Line 6 uses uniquely addressed and encoded digital transmission technology. Your tone will make it from your transmitter to your receiver free of interference.

The Relay line produces full-range tones with 10Hz-20kHz frequency response, exceedingly low noise with up to 120dB dynamic range, and studio-quality resolution with 24-bit A/D conversion (comparably priced analog wireless systems offer 50Hz-15kHz frequency response and >90dB dynamic range. This wreaks havoc on your tone, especially if you use a high-gain amp.).

The reason they're good for bass is because they are Compander free. Companders squash your signal and ruin your tone. Analog wireless systems require companders but Relay wireless systems do not. Remaining compander-free enables Relay to deliver a beautiful high-end sparkle, thunderous low-end punch, and touch response that analog wireless systems simply cannot deliver.

I use an older (discontinued) Line 6 X2 XDS95 system weekly to provide audio to a remote speaker and it works like a champ. Pure audio, virtually no noise and reliable as you can get.

The G30 is good for about 100 feet, the G50 for about 200 feet and the G90 for about 300 feet. I would imagine the G30 would be plenty good for you. ;)

-Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:56 am

Thanks Gil!

As always, you have the answer... [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Rob Francis » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks Gil that's very interesting.
Rob Francis

Postby jshilgebass » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:27 pm

Harry,

I just picked up a Line 6 G50 for cheap. I still haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces (it's not here yet [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] ) but I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby hmagman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:45 am

Thanks Joe! Let me know...
Harry
hmagman

Postby jshilgebass » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Harry,

I've played a couple of gigs now with my new (to me) Line 6 G50 wireless. It worked well. Spectacularly well. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
I say you go out and get you one...

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby hmagman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:08 pm

Joe, any experience with the G30? Major difference between the G50 and G30?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Harry
hmagman

Postby jshilgebass » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:15 pm

hmagman wrote:Joe, any experience with the G30? Major difference between the G50 and G30?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never tried either of them until I got my G50. I had already decided to get that unit as opposed to the G30 if I could find it at a good price used...which I did. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

As for differences, the G50 is basically a G30 with more range (200ft vs 100ft) and extra features (tuner out, LED display on transmitter, twice as many transmit channels). Both receiver units are stompbox style designs, but the G30 box is polycarbonate while the G50 is metal.

HTH

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby hmagman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Thanks Joe! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Floyd Eye » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:32 am

I have been using a G50 for about 3 years with zero issues.
Floyd Eye

Return to TONE