Audere Preamps

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Re: Audere Preamps

Postby harleyyy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:02 pm

hmagman wrote:Just got the new preamp in the mail today... [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Where is Gil when you need him...

What's it going into?
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby jshilgebass » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:06 pm

harleyyy wrote:
hmagman wrote:Just got the new preamp in the mail today... [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Where is Gil when you need him...

What's it going into?

Yeah Harry...that was my question, too.

Are you gonna do the install yourself, or is Gil gonna lend a helping hand? I'm starting to get more interested in these preamps myself.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby hmagman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:09 pm

I'm going to install the pre in my black USA Jazz with a P-neck...I'm looking for a black control plate to use. Should be somewhere in my parts box. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] I'll try to install it this weekend since it's raining in SoCal. Install completed. Decided against the black control plate...

Initial impressions: Very good. Based on the Audere website:

"Flip the switch while playing to get the best sound for your performance:

• High Z-Mode is the sound you'd get when pickup(s) are directly connected to the input of a tube amp, i.e. no tone or volume controls. This very high impedance load produces a bright, lively and aggressive sound.
• Mid Z-Mode is the traditional and most popular active bass sound, offering solid bass line support.
• Low Z-Mode is a new sound for the Bass. Deep and driving with unusually low noise and distortion levels."

The above is basically true. New concept for me, but you get a very useful starting point tone before you even dial up the EQ. I'm going to give it some runtime and get back to all.

Those interested should check out their website. There is also a Bass Player mag video linked so you can check it out demo'd.
Before picture:
After pictures:
Last edited by hmagman on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harry
hmagman

Postby hmagman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:52 am

:bump: For update information...
Harry
hmagman

Postby JZumbro » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:31 am

Awesome! I just put an Audere in my 44-01 with US Barts and it really came alive. Best sounding bass I have now. The second best would be my Audere equipped JO4. Great preamps.
JZumbro

Postby hmagman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:40 am

I'm pretty impressed with the Audere in the Jazz...the High Z, Mid Z and Low Z concept opens up many possibilities. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] Thinking of installing one of these preamps in a P/J or soap bar equiped bass.
Harry
hmagman

Postby mozarwasagenius » Fri May 06, 2011 11:39 pm

My G&L L2500 USA fretless came to me used with an Audere 3ZB preamp.

I think it is a fantastic preamp. Low noise, high headroom (even with 9V), great frequency center points for the tone controls, smooth pots, center detents and just overall well built. The president is very accessible for questions. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the "Z" modes. I just leave it in mid Z mode. The Low Z and High Z modes are hissy for me and not that useful.

Previously I thought Bartolini NTMB preamps were the ultimate in terms of pristine sound quality. Now I'll add Audere to the list of superb preamps.
mozarwasagenius

Postby Golem » Wed May 18, 2011 2:01 pm

hmagman wrote:I'm pretty impressed with the Audere in the Jazz...the High Z, Mid Z and Low Z
concept opens up many possibilities. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Thinking of installing one of these preamps in a P/J or soap bar equiped bass.

Mine is in Single-MM config .... works great. Ax is built by
Fretless Bill [Bill Roberts] for his personal taste/use .... but
then he sold it to me. The PU is located even closer to the
bridge than a typical MM-type, and it's a "no-name" PU, but
the Audere [and some hollow chambering] brings the thing
to life ..... that and the purpleheart blank plank and TIJFs !

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Previous

Return to TONE