Audere Preamps

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Audere Preamps

Postby hmagman » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:24 pm

Anyone have any experience with Audere preamps? I'm hearing positive feedback, just wanted to hear some opinions.

Thanks,
Harry
hmagman

Re: Audere Preamps

Postby Jerry » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:01 pm

Subscribing for opinions too...
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby harleyyy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm

The search function on the top right yields some good results. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby nolabass » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:38 pm

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:59 pm

Thanks to all for the help...now it seems I MUST try one in my jazz. [smilie=music-smiley-008.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Golem » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:41 am

`
I didn't choose it, but it came built into the my ax and I can only say I'm waaaaay friggin glad the builder chose it. It's like magic. Mine has the 3-way "Z" switch. I don't know if they all have it, but if I were to convert another bass to Audere, the "Z" switch gotta be included.

`
Last edited by Golem on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby JZumbro » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:22 pm

I have one in my Lakland JO4 and it sounds really great. Flat it is very transparent, not changing the sound of the Fralins at all. The EQ works well, and the Z modes are very useful.
JZumbro

Postby hmagman » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:09 pm

hmagman wrote:Thanks to all for the help...now it seems I MUST try one in my jazz. [smilie=music-smiley-008.gif]

Took the leap the other day and ordered a vintage Audere from Chance at Fearless Music in Portland...should be here soon. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] More to follow.
Harry
hmagman

Postby WalCustom » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:33 pm

I ordered one for my Christmas present (from my wife to myself) to put in my Jazz copy. The Jazz is my "second bass" and I alternate at gigs with my Mk 1 Wal - so it's got some stif competition tonally. I had decided that I wanted some more oomph from the bass and the Audere looked to include all the options I wanted, especially pickup blend and a 3 band EQ. Plus it was about two-thirds or half the price of some similar spec preamps like Easts etc.

I ordered direct from Audere and it arrived in no time at all (and that's TRANSATLANTIC, mind you!). I set aside a full morning to install it - you know these jobs always take two or three times longer than you expect. Well, from start to finish the whole thing took 20 minutes! 25 if you include getting the screwdrivers and wire snippers from upstairs!

Last night was the first time I've had a chance to use it in anger. WOW!!! Transformed the sound of the bass but kept the inherent Jazzness intact. Just much more present. Plus the ability to add in a touch of mid range to help punch through the mix was really good. I ended up playing the gig with no EQ on my amp and precious little on the bass. Oh, and that Z-switch is a marvel too. Still haven't had a chance to REALLY get the hang of exactly how it works and what it does but it does add a really nice variation to the sounds. One thing I particularly is that the boost/cut on the bass, middle and treble pots isn't that extreme. It gives you what you want and need to make the difference to your sound without unusable extremes of boost and cut. Really, really nice!

I ended up playing nearly all the gig with the Jazz and only used the Wal for half a dozen songs all night.

Can't wait to get to know the preamp better! Great piece of kit,

Trevor
WalCustom

Postby hmagman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Trevor,

You beat me to the Audere install. I didn't have much luck purchasing a unit from the shop I was using [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]...guess I'll have to go directly to Audere. As a result of your review, now I can't wait to try one! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby hmagman » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:06 am

hmagman wrote:Trevor,

You beat me to the Audere install. I didn't have much luck purchasing a unit from the shop I was using [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]...guess I'll have to go directly to Audere. As a result of your review, now I can't wait to try one! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

OK, finally got off my butt [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] and ordered one this morning...should be here soon.
Harry
hmagman

Postby hmagman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Just got the new preamp in the mail today... [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Where is Gil when you need him...
Harry
hmagman

Postby harleyyy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:02 pm

hmagman wrote:Just got the new preamp in the mail today... [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

What's it going into?
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby jshilgebass » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:06 pm

harleyyy wrote:
hmagman wrote:Just got the new preamp in the mail today... [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

What's it going into?

Yeah Harry...that was my question, too.

Are you gonna do the install yourself, or is Gil gonna lend a helping hand? I'm starting to get more interested in these preamps myself.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby hmagman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:09 pm

I'm going to install the pre in my black USA Jazz with a P-neck...I'm looking for a black control plate to use. Should be somewhere in my parts box. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] I'll try to install it this weekend since it's raining in SoCal. Install completed. Decided against the black control plate...

Initial impressions: Very good. Based on the Audere website:

"Flip the switch while playing to get the best sound for your performance:

• High Z-Mode is the sound you'd get when pickup(s) are directly connected to the input of a tube amp, i.e. no tone or volume controls. This very high impedance load produces a bright, lively and aggressive sound.
• Mid Z-Mode is the traditional and most popular active bass sound, offering solid bass line support.
• Low Z-Mode is a new sound for the Bass. Deep and driving with unusually low noise and distortion levels."

The above is basically true. New concept for me, but you get a very useful starting point tone before you even dial up the EQ. I'm going to give it some runtime and get back to all.

Those interested should check out their website. There is also a Bass Player mag video linked so you can check it out demo'd.
Before picture:
After pictures:
Last edited by hmagman on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harry
hmagman

Next

Return to TONE