Short Scale 30.5

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Short Scale 30.5

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:41 am

I recently posted in the Gibson section, and just took delivery of a new Gibson SG Supreme. The body is half hog and half maple. The neck is hog with a rosewood ringerboard. Kller tone from this bass. She's becoming one of my favorites. Must be the wood?

Here's my question. What are the advantages and or disadvantages of a short scale bass? Do I need a hog hybrid in full scale? Just wonderifng.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Hog Necks. [was: "Re: Short Scale 30.5"]

Postby Golem » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:24 pm

BluesBassPlayer wrote:......... What are the advantages and or disadvantages of a short scale bass? Do I need a hog hybrid in full scale? Just wonderifng.

Jimi
`

Only if you don't already have one :-)

My maple-hog SG keeps company with another maple-hog ax, a [play Imperial March here] *gasp!* Ibanez, a 10 lb, 35", 5-string FL, very active [18V 3-band w/ midsweep] BTB1005FL. What could be more toadally opposite to my SG than that ?

Something you didn't fully emphasize, thaz waaaay important, is the SG's hog neck. You'll notice it's a different color than the back of the body ? Gibson specs the body as maple over *Limba*. Got no clue m'selves, but I'm guessin it's in the hog famberly, yet not quite the same as the usually darker stuff. Anywayz, "Hog Neck". Write it 1000X with a no.2 pencil that you sharpen with your teeth. If I were allowed only one descriptor to describe the SG, I'd hafta say it's a Hog Neck Bass. Hog necks trump most other effects on tone. Not saying they nullify, or toadally overwhelm, other influences but you might say there's [mostly] two kindza basses: Hog Necks and Maple Necks. [I said "mostly" cuz ther's wenge, rosewood, ovangcol, etc but those are even less widely used than hog].

I don't know if it's coincidence, but most hog necks I've encountered are set necks. I don't really recall playing, or even meeting, any maple set necks. So maybe I should say there's [mostly, again ... ] Hog Set Neck basses and Maple Neck basses ? I know I'm offering kinda muddy cause-and-effect data, but one thing for sure: Another maple-over-hog ax is not gonna remind you of the SG unless it's got a hog neck. Similar PU's would also help. I'm very blowed away about the way you can juggle and mix growl, thump, and woof using the PU knobs on the SG.

Example: I've got a mutant all-hog set neck 34" 4-string with passive EMG P-J PU's. Everybody loves to play it. It's less influenced by string choice than most other basses, as if it's got its own mind made up about what it wants to sound like. It's pretty mellow, even with the bridge PU dimed. Sounds great the way it is but the same bass with a maple top might be even better. Who knows ....

Mutant Hog.jpg
Mutant Hog Set Neck 4-string wearing
Fender Black Nylon Taped Roundwounds

---------------------------------------------

To me, the advantages of short scale are easier playing and toting, and a more percussive thump. The disadvantages are fussing over your E-string the way 5-string players fuss over their B-string, always wanting more tension in it. Another disadvantage, not inherent in the design but just a marketplace reality, is a limited choice of strings.

Personal comment: I'm annoyed at solid body 30" basses that are physically only 2" shorter than their 34" counterparts. Fender MusicMaster comes to mind. Many 30" basses have much more body beyond the bridge than similar 34" basses. IOW the scale was shortened mainly by moving the bridge. I like my shorties with the bridge near the butt end, and with a 2+2 headstock, so I get the most compact ax for the shorter scale. I want it to fit in any old gu*tar bag. Very few actually do. [Short scale hollow bodies is a whole different kettle of cats.]

`
Last edited by Golem on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Re: Short Scale 30.5

Postby Rob Francis » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:08 pm

If that guitar were black it could be Darth Vader's
Rob Francis

Postby Golem » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Rob Francis wrote:If that guitar were black it could be Darth Vader's
`

Yar ist Vader's ax [click to zoom]:

Ibanez-Axstar_Blk4H.jpg

Han Solo's ax:

Hohner-B2AFL_Blk4H.jpg

Chewy's:

Moses_VJB5.jpg

Skywalker's:

Kramer-Duke_Blk4H.jpg

and Leah's:

`EDA905FL.jpg
`EDA905FL.jpg (10.56 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

Wouldn't have the Princess tuning from the butt end ... it's so unladylike :-0

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Sloom » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:27 pm

So Chewy and Miss Highness both play fretless. One does 'growl' the other does 'Mwah'?
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Return to TONE