Sansamp BDDI q's

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Sansamp BDDI q's

Postby bluesky » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:46 am

When I play at church I use either a Pbass or fretless J (both passive) direct using the SA BDDI in the "SVT" setting. By itself it sounds really good, but sure seems to get lost in the mix when the whole band kicks in. What am I missing here, is it the lack of mid controls on the BDDI? Is there a better/more versatile DI/Pre-amp I could be using? Cost is a factor and I really don't want to haul a rack around. Bass Pod XT maybe? Thanks for any advice.
Tom
bluesky

Re: Sansamp BDDI q's

Postby nolabass » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:23 am

One quick thing to look at is sonic space. Rather than add mids to an already muddy picture I would look to the band members and see who might be running a lot of lows and stepping on your space. Plus the room may be building lows up and making it hard to hear. The general rule with EQ is cut rather than add.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby bluesky » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:53 am

I wouldn't say the overall mix is muddy, piano, keys/synth, elec and acoustic guitar and drums. Piano player stays off the left hand mostly. I'll experiment a little, as I think the BDDI sounds a bit mid-scooped to me. Thanks.
bluesky

Postby buckbrothers » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:56 am

I've had similar problems with my BDDI as well.

One word of advice - the blend knob is your friend on the BDDI.

By taking the blend knob back a bit in favour of a slightly higher "dry" signal, my bass cut through the mix a lot better. It didn't sound as "big" on its own when solo'd up BUT really sat well mix-wise in full band mode. And, like yourself, I am also a fan of the "svt" fat bass sound on my BDDI as well.

It's a minor adjustment that made a big difference for yours truly and I hope it works for you. The BDDI is a great unit and little tweaks really take the box into impressive sonic territory.
buckbrothers

Postby Gil Escalera » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:01 am

"One word of advice - the blend knob is your friend on the BDDI."

Listen to this man, he knows of what he speaks. ;)

Seriously, as a FOH engineer at church I've come across this as well. If all I have coming to me at the FOH is a coloured signal, then I'm pretty much at a disadvantage right out of the blocks. The "less is more" concept works well in this scenario.

The SABDDI "SVT" setting is definitely mid scooped, so if you give just a little less flavor and bit more direct signal to the FOH then we have a better chance at tayloring the bass for articulation. On that same note, are you sure the fault is your signal and not the eq the FOH engineer is setting you with? I've come across volunteer sound people who think that a bass is supposed to sound like the compact car next to you blaring 2,000 watts of hip-hop pulsing 10" subs; no definition, just massive fundamental frequency lowend.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby buckbrothers » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:35 am

The toilet pic continues to haunt me. :0)

But a lot of good bass sound ideas have been developed from my time on the loo. With or without a cup of tea (or a thesaurus).
buckbrothers

Postby bluesky » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:39 am

Couple of really good ideas guys, thanks. Our FOH guys are pretty good, I'll have a chat with them and see how they are EQing the bass signal. Eat more fiber guys, you are taking way too much time in the loo..... [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
bluesky

Postby Bass Commando » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:33 am

When using the Bass Driver, don't be afraid to use a little bit of Drive. The effect is very subtle, and you have to turn it up more than 1/2 way before the sound really starts sounding distorted.

Keep your presence and treble turned down about 1/2 way, and don't add any more than 2/3 on the bass. If you are missing midrange, turn up your level and cut your highs.

Don't forget that there are two controls on your P-bass. You can often get a really nice mid-rangy tone if you just turn down the tone control. Also experiment with different volume settings on your bass. You will get different tonalities and dynamics if you turn it down by 1/3.

Use the level control on the Bass Driver as your "Bass" control and use the other EQ controls to balance the overall sound.

I typically play with the blend turned all the way up, but you will definitely get a more natural woody tone if you back off even just a little bit.

Lastly, if you are plugged into a PA system, you will probably have additional EQ controls that will allow you to add some missing midrange.
Apparently Bass Commando uses Leo Quan Badass Bass Bridges
Bass Commando

Links: http://www.captainparadox.com
http://www.bleedingsweatingandcrying.com
http://www.rhythmelectric.com
http://classb.netburgh.com
http://superocho.netburgh.com

Postby groovemachine » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:43 am

I know exactly what you're talking about. I love mids and the SABDDI doesn't deliver there. I love the utilitarian functionality of the Sansamp stuff, but I never did use my SABDDI unless I needed to. Here's the secret...Sansamp came out with a character series line a while back and the VT Bass pedal is amazing. I use it almost all the time. I picked up the deluxe version because it has 6 presets and a DI. That said, I mostly use one setting, so the smaller pedal is a great way to go if you don't need it as a DI (or you can get the smaller pedal modded to add a DI).

Sansamp Character Pedals
groovemachine

Return to TONE