Reamping

Recording tips and tricks to opitimize tone and get the sound in your head on tracks, Live PA, as well as knowledge sharing of wood, strings,hardware, anything that contributes to the ever elusive tone.

Reamping

Postby 57RIP » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:31 pm

anybody here actively using a re-amp box ? I'm pretty interested in the Radial X-Amp. Kinda wondering if anybody has tried one of those.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Re: Reamping

Postby 57RIP » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:02 pm

well, Radial sems to have a fairly new box for about a hun. The ProRMP. So the boy's form Discover and Sweetwwater teamed up on my authority (yeah - I put the card down...) and one is winging it's way to me. I guess a report after it get's here...

Reamping for the un-initiated is the process of takinga recorded dry track and playing it back, routing it from your recorder to some outboard device like a stompbox or guitar amp. The box or the amp expect to see guitar or bass like signal levels and impedance and they don't tend to react well to line level audio. So the Reamper does it's kinda sorta like a reverse DI (ID ?) thing and makes the signal llook like it's coming from your instrument.

When I next sit to record some track, I'll play into the DI, take the thru signal to an amp and mic that, take the DI signal to another channel. Then I can get the 'tactil' experience of playing through an amp and take the dry signal back out through the re-amper to play with it externally. Mic that and re-record the track. Cool.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby fdmundo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:07 pm

Back in the olden days -- the 70s -- when I worked a lot in LA studios, recording direct to 8/16/24 track analog tape, an engineer and I developed a re-amping technique which was particularly effective for pick players (as I was back then):

1. Record the bass track fairly hot on track 1 (the edge).
2. Run the tape out past the end of the tune.
3. Flip the entire multitrack tape over (bass is now heard on track 16)
4. Send the bass signal out to an amp in the studio, cranked to overdrive nicely.
5. Record the miked amp sound to track 1 (the other edge, which will actually be track 16 when the tape is flipped back)
6. Flip the tape back over, check the two bass tracks for phase and correct if needed.
7. Mix.

The idea of sending the backward signal to the amp is that some of the distortion effects are time-based. If the track is sent forward, the sharp attack of the pick can cause unpleasant overtones to ring in the distortion for a few milliseconds -- long enough to drain the phat out of the track. But the very same track sent backward to the amp has each note making a crescendo to the attack point, and no overtones to thin the tone. I imagine there's a ProTools way to flip a track around, too.

- steve
========================================================
Fin de Mundo Music Website: http://www.fin-de-mundo.com
The Fretful Bassist Blog: http://stevepinkston.blogspot.com/
========================================================
fdmundo

Postby Sloom » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:58 pm

fdmundo wrote:Back in the olden days -- the 70s -- when I worked a lot in LA studios, recording direct to 8/16/24 track analog tape, an engineer and I developed a re-amping technique which was particularly effective for pick players (as I was back then):

1. Record the bass track fairly hot on track 1 (the edge).
2. Run the tape out past the end of the tune.
3. Flip the entire multitrack tape over (bass is now heard on track 16)
4. Send the bass signal out to an amp in the studio, cranked to overdrive nicely.
5. Record the miked amp sound to track 1 (the other edge, which will actually be track 16 when the tape is flipped back)
6. Flip the tape back over, check the two bass tracks for phase and correct if needed.
7. Mix.

The idea of sending the backward signal to the amp is that some of the distortion effects are time-based. If the track is sent forward, the sharp attack of the pick can cause unpleasant overtones to ring in the distortion for a few milliseconds -- long enough to drain the phat out of the track. But the very same track sent backward to the amp has each note making a crescendo to the attack point, and no overtones to thin the tone. I imagine there's a ProTools way to flip a track around, too.

- steve

That's very cool. I suppose you could as easily do this on a cassette 4-track...
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Postby Gil Escalera » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:06 am

Yeah a reamp box is basically a reverse DI box. A lot of people use a passive DI in reverse, but it's not exactly the same.

The XLR-F input on a reamp box is a +4dB balanced line-level input (600 ohms). It's looking for a line-level signal from a desk/console. The 1/4" phone jack is a -10dBV instrumental-level (50k ohms) to match the input impedance and level of an amp or pedal effects.

The XLR-M output connector on a DI on the other hand is a -60dB mic level output (600 ohms). It's looking to feed a mic-level input at the desk/console. The 1/4" phone jack is a -10dBV instrumental-level (100k ohms) to match a guitar or pedal effects output.

If you are careful, you can use a DI backwards, but a reamp box is designed to do it right and thus easier to use.

I use a reamp box to send a signal from the mixer to a remote [powered] speaker on Sundays. I send a signal from a SUB OUT on the mixer to a Radial ProRMP Studio Reamp box. I come out of the ProRMP (1/4") into a Line 6 X2 XDS-95 wireless transmitter. On the other side I have the X2 XDS-95 receiver sending it's output into a Behringer B205D powered speaker at instrument level. Clean, impedance and level matched audio. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Return to TONE