8-string Hagstrom

8-string Hagstrom

Postby ken woodward » Mon May 16, 2011 10:50 am

Has anyone played one of these? I have seen the good reviews and the videos on Youtube sound great. 30" scale.They sell for about $600 new and I know they are made in China now. I think it would make a novelty item for my birthday the 30th of May (in Black of course). Thanks for any feedback (good or bad). Ken [smilie=music-smiley-008.gif]
ken woodward

Re: 8-string Hagstrom

Postby Golem » Wed May 18, 2011 2:13 pm

ken woodward wrote:Has anyone played one of these? I have seen the good reviews and the videos on Youtube sound great. 30" scale.They sell for about $600 new and I know they are made in China now. I think it would make a novelty item for my birthday the 30th of May (in Black of course). Thanks for any feedback (good or bad). Ken [smilie=music-smiley-008.gif]

Never had that particular 8-string, but I had 3 different 8-strings.

All 8-strings are a b1tch to play. One of mine was a 30", which
allows you to use geetar strings for the octave-up. If I got an
8 again, I think I'd get the 30" again, and have it defretted too.
Intonation on an 8 is problematic, so with the FL I can just do
whatever sounds bestest in the moment.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby ken woodward » Wed May 18, 2011 2:32 pm

I found one in Wisconsin on Craigs list like new for $400. It's cherry red (not my color), but a good price. I was able to score a new hard Hagstrom case for it on ebay for $60. It all should be at my house by next week sometime. I'll give everyone a review on it once I check it out. Ken
ken woodward

Postby ken woodward » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:39 pm

Well I have to say without a doubt, this is the best 8 string I've been able able to play. The 30 3/4" scale works quite well. It was a mess when I received it from the previous owner. Intonation, string hight, and relief were all fuc#ed up. After spending much time with my luthier, we got it all tuned up. I'm pretty sure the strings on it are not correct, and that's another whole ball game. They are a bitch to find strings for. I've been on the line with the Hag rep, customer service, and all of the string manufacturers. It looks like by using DR lite bass strings and DR lite Guitar strings, I can come up with a close match, if the intonation works. Even with the odd strings on it, this thing plays like butter. No dead spots, rich clarity, and the 5 way tone switch is similiar to Musicman's idea. Neck curvature is also similiar to a Musicman Stingray. This little beast plays out "YES" tunes wonderfully. Chris Squire would be giddy. Pretty cool bass for $400, plus buying a new Hagstrom perfect fit case on Ebay for $60.00. This is an amazing bass for being Chinese manufactured. This one was made in 05. [smilie=music-smiley-008.gif]
Attachments
HB8_WCT.jpg
ken woodward

Postby nolabass » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Nice look....I like it! Black would be cool too...
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Golem » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:20 pm

`

BTW, peeps not always string dual courser basses in octave pairs.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Return to 5 AND BEYOND