Anyone tried the Raven West 6 or 7 string basses?

Anyone tried the Raven West 6 or 7 string basses?

Postby MoBeach » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm in the market for a 6 or 7 but I don't want to break the bank, wide string spacing is a must.

http://ravenwestguitar.com/bassguitars.html
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.
Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head through Genz Benz cabs.

Re: Anyone tried the Raven West 6 or 7 string basses?

Postby Paul DeLano » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:09 am

I've been keeping an eye on those for a couple years now and still don't know anyone who has bought one. I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on it if you do step up for one.
Normally I would recommend one of the Conklin GT series to anybody looking for an entry level seven string bass, but the string spacing is narrower than a P-Bass by a significant amount so it might not suit you.

[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Paul
"Look, just between us, nothing good ever comes from playing guitar. Nothing." - Kennan Shaw
Paul DeLano

Postby MoBeach » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:25 pm

I used to have a TRB 6P, would love to find something with roughly the same spacing. I still have a Brice fretless 6, they're decent basses for the money. but I want to go better than that, and fretted.
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.

Postby Paul DeLano » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:50 am

I was given a TRB6P and the spacing was way too wide for me. I thought the bass played and sounded great, but it was a long hike from the B to the C. I tend to do a lot of chording and tapping and the narower string spacing just suits me better. On my Bee Basses, the spacing at the bridge is 16.5mm, where on the P-Bass and the TRB the spacing at the bridge is 19mm. Actually, the overall bridge width on my 8 string basses is almost the same as the TRB 6 stringers.
I'm really interested in your impressions of the Ravenwest basses if you get one. Another one to look at, in the same price range, is the Antoniosai.
For 6 string basses, I've heard good things about both Schecter and Ibanez. I've never owned a Schecter, but I had an Ibanez RB800 and I wish I'd never sold it.

[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Paul
"Look, just between us, nothing good ever comes from playing guitar. Nothing." - Kennan Shaw
Paul DeLano

Postby MoBeach » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:51 am

I'm pretty sure I'm going to order the 7 string after paypal releases my money form the Pedulla sale. It looks like a nice wide spacing. I do some slapping and I can't do it well with narrow spacing, I also do tapping. I was surprised to read that John Myungs 6 string Bongo actually has a 5 string bridge.
Bye
MoBeach

Return to 5 AND BEYOND