Lightweight USA 5 string?

Lightweight USA 5 string?

Postby rsnell22 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi, folks, I know it's been a while...

Sometime later this year, I hope to purchase another USA made 5 string.

I will be looking for something light in weight, like 8 1/2 pounds or even lighter.

What do you suggest?

Thanks to all...
rsnell22

Re: Lightweight USA 5 string?

Postby Freddels » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:35 pm

What's the budget?
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby rsnell22 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:48 pm

The budget will hopefully be in the Mike Lull range, but I'm not so sure I want a 35 inch scale.
Several thing have to take place financially (selling a bass, family estate property selling, not losing my day job, etc.)

Nordstrand is one option, maybe a Rapture 5 if I can find one that's not too heavy.
I do have a Rapture 5 that is 10.5 pounds, and it will likely be the bass sold at some point.
rsnell22

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:05 pm

If you want a Lull, you might watch Talkbass...I see them come up at really reasonable prices all the time used. I got both my P5 and my PJ5 for under $1500.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:47 am

The Carvin SB5000 is a great bass. I have the 4 string version but will probably get a five in the near future. You can check out Ed Friedland's review of it here: http://www.youtube.com/v/xEdT9dRuiTU

If you call Carvin and request a lightweight one, they will do everything they can to make that happen.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby bdgotoh » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Mike is now building 34" scale 5 strings. My Lull P5 is exactly 8 lbs, balances perfectly and sounds amazing. I've had 5 different USA and Skyline Lakland 5s and only one was under 9 lbs.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby vates » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:01 am

35" scale on Mike Lull basses feels very comfortable. And the shape of such neck is also a pure delight. In fact, the main reason why I bought my current M5V is because I've missed the feel of my previous P5 neck soooo much :)
vates

Postby 57RIP » Tue May 14, 2013 8:00 am

On the beer budget side of the street, late 80's Guild Pilots fly under the radar. I have a fretted and fretless pair. They have a nice wide, shallow neck profile. Best 5 I've found for walking lines and both are just sub 8.5 lbs. stock pickups and electronics are EMG. Not a fan of EMG but the basses are reasonable enough that a pre and pup swap to get it where you want is more than feasible...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby jshilgebass » Sun May 19, 2013 10:44 pm

57RIP wrote:On the beer budget side of the street, late 80's Guild Pilots fly under the radar. I have a fretted and fretless pair. They have a nice wide, shallow neck profile. Best 5 I've found for walking lines and both are just sub 8.5 lbs. stock pickups and electronics are EMG. Not a fan of EMG but the basses are reasonable enough that a pre and pup swap to get it where you want is more than feasible...

Ditto. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Return to 5 AND BEYOND