Jauqo III-X live/playing a 15 string fretless(3x5)

Jauqo III-X live/playing a 15 string fretless(3x5)

Postby JAUQO III-X » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:23 am

For those who may be interested in hearing what a 15 string fretless(5x3)sounds like in a band context(and theres a solo included as well).This is a Live recording.

http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_music_power.html
Jauqo III-X
JAUQO III-X

Postby fdmundo » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:36 pm

Maybe this is a topic that should have its own thread: Is intonation important?

This guy has some chops, no doubt. But there are also some issues with intonation. PerhapsI'll be generous and say that he was deliberately playing "in the cracks" as an effect.

I have no knock against fretless or upright. I love the tones they get, the buzzy swelling mmWAH thing that doesn't happen on a fretted electric. But I don't enjoy listening to out-of tune playing, and my pet peeve is the upper-register upright or fretless bass solo where the pitch is all over the place. If a violinist, trombonist, or steel guitarist played a solo as badly out of tune as some bass solos I've heard (even on CDs from well-known artists), they'd be booted from the band.

Perhaps I'm too harsh on this point. Perhaps it's because I know I would not play a fretless in tune, either. I'm interested in what other fretless players thought of this player's recording and particularly of the bass solo section.

- steve
========================================================
Fin de Mundo Music Website: http://www.fin-de-mundo.com
The Fretful Bassist Blog: http://stevepinkston.blogspot.com/
fdmundo

Postby JAUQO III-X » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:40 pm

Theres a first time for every thing and this is the first time I have ever heard that the intonation was off on that track.

But again there's always that first time.
Jauqo III-X
JAUQO III-X

Postby fdmundo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:45 pm

No offense meant, sir -- and you definitely have chops far exceeding my own. Perhaps my ears were out of tune when I listened. I promise I will give it a second listen.

Intonation is just a pet peeve of mine with regards to bass and particularly with regard to bass solos. I know it's really hard to hit it perfectly in tune with fretless basses (or fretted basses for that matter -- I have to re-intonate my bridge whenever I change strings, and then again after a few weeks of playing).

Also, kudos to anyone who can get anything out of a 6+ stringer. Those necks look like aircraft carrier decks to me!
Fin de Mundo Music Website: http://www.fin-de-mundo.com
The Fretful Bassist Blog: http://stevepinkston.blogspot.com/
fdmundo

Postby nolabass » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:09 pm

There's a ton of phaseyness going on between the guitar effects, the mp3 conversion and dial-up connection. It's almost impossible to hear the parts clearly till you guys thin out. Once there are counter parts I can hear better. No clue on tonality. Props for a tuff bass and a tuff tune. Be easier to pull that off in the studio where you can control phase and mix.
But I believe 12 string guitars are hard enough to get in tune much less 3x5 frettless over, I assume a 3 octave range stepping on 2 guitars ranges WITH heavey effects. Theres no hope for tuning with this many fighting frequencies IMHO. It becomes more of a visual feast. But....that's why I play flats....I am an all fundamental guy because I want the space around the notes rather than a swirl of excitement. Working with a B3 swirling around the room all the time makes me appreciate the space a bass has and the space every other musician occupies. Live the divided and respected space translate into a better overall sound IMHO. I always chuckle at a piano players whining about not being able to use their left hand with bass players. Good example there. It don't work unless you play the same notes....just fights each other too much. Like 2 singers singing in unison. It's much harder than singing in harmony. That's easy for me to say when I play blues and R&B too. Modern approaches are much more complicated and difficult to pulloff. I lack the talent. [smilie=fun_84.gif]
Last edited by nolabass on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby JAUQO III-X » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:14 pm

fdmundo wrote:No offense meant, sir

No offense taken.

nolabass wrote:There's a ton of phaseyness going on between the guitar effects, the mp3 conversion and dial-up connection. It's almost impossible to hear the parts clearly till you guys thin out. Once there are counter parts I can hear better. No clue on tonality. Props for a tuff bass and a tuff tune. Be easier to pull that off in the studio where you can control phase and mix.

Exactly plus it depends on what type of speakers one is hearing music thru.
Jauqo III-X
JAUQO III-X

Return to 5 AND BEYOND