#@%^@#!! Five String Basses! Somebody recommend me one....

Postby DKWilkins » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:00 pm

The Roscoe Beck 5 looks pretty cool... wish I could run up on one fairly local to try out. There just isn't anything around here....
Ambiguity... What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness
DKWilkins

Postby bluesky » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:40 am

DKWilkins wrote:The Roscoe Beck 5 looks pretty cool... wish I could run up on one fairly local to try out. There just isn't anything around here....

I bought the RBV that Kennan had for sale here. Very nice, very versatile bass. Does the J bass thing pretty well too. The neck is thicker than a JO5 which is what I am really looking for, but I can get used to it. If I can trade for a JO5 I'd do it.
bluesky

Postby SonicBlueJoe » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:50 am

Just a few random thoughts.

I tried several fivers, including the Skyline version, before I got my Joe. The thing that stands apart for me is the neck profile. Totally playable and comfortable. Fairly thin front to back. The Fender 5 and the G&L L-1505 were a bit too clubby for me.

If you blindfolded me, put several 5ers in my hands and let me play them, some 34" scale and some 35" scale, I think I'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. I'm average build, 6'0", and don't think I have monkey arms or anything. It just never presented any sort of noticable issue for me. Not saying others who have issues with the difference aren't real. Just saying it didn't make a bit of difference for me.

Going 5 does need to be a commitment. I kind of liken it to learning a foreign language. I took spanish class four semesters as an undergrad, but never really did anything with it outside of class. In the end, I could understand quite a bit, and could hack my way through a conversation, but I never got over the hump to where I felt comfortable or proficient. Others who had immersed themselves by spending some time in a spanish speaking country where they used the language 24/7 leaped ahead of me in proficiency. The 5/4 thing is the same IMHO. And just because you take the time to immerse yourself and learn how to speak 5 doesn't mean that you'll forget how to speak 4. I pulled my 4 banger off the wall for the first time in about 6 weeks the other day, and it was like putting on a pair of old shoes and going for a run. No negative issues, opr stumbling, or uncomfortableness, and it actually got me to thinking about some fresh ways to approach my playing that I hadn't been thinking about on the 5.
SonicBlueJoe

Links: Current Gig: http://www.badluckandtroubleweb.com/fr_home.cfm

Current Gear: Lakland Joe Osborn 5, Lakland Hollowbody, BABP LE G&L L1000, Bergantino IP310, Bergantino AE410, Aquilar DB680, Alembic F-1X, Genz Benz Streamliner 600

Postby hippiesandwich » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:28 pm

harleyyy wrote:Lowell has an early 34" scale Lakie 5'er. The first of it's kind.

The first 30 or so Lakland 5's were indeed 34" scale but they rarely come up for sale. Ever had the chance to check out a Sadowsky?
Looser is the opposite of tighter, not winner.
hippiesandwich
Bouncer

Postby DKWilkins » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:29 pm

I've never even been in the same building with a Sadowsky [smilie=fun_84.gif]
Ambiguity... What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness
DKWilkins

Postby jefbar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:03 am

Even though I play a 34" scale L2500, I can't tell much difference in feel between a 34" and 35" scale. Just remember, that extra inch is apportioned across the entire length of the string so the actual difference in length between frets is minimal.

I'd recommend the L2500 for price/versatility, but maybe try some Yamaha or Lakland Skylines. They tend to have slimmer neck profiles without the boutique price tags.
Jeff
jefbar

Re: #@%^@#!! Five String Basses! Somebody recommend me one....

Postby revlimitbounce » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:19 pm

Hey all:

I'm in a similar situation. Need a new 5er for not too much $$ (maybe up to $1,000 if it's heavenly). Tried and bought an Ibanez SR505 with the agreement to be able to return it for something else if it doesn't work out well, but just tried a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 and thought it was markedly better.

I have other basses (an '80 MM Cutlass, Rob Allen hollow 5 fretless and a '86 Ibanez Muscian fretless neck-through-which might be for sale - plus a Franken-Jazz that I put together in college) so this is really for gigging and versatility. Style is R&B, heavy jazz and good fusion.

Thanks!
revlimitbounce

Previous

Return to 5 AND BEYOND