5 string (Stingray 5 ??)

5 string (Stingray 5 ??)

Postby groovyw53 » Tue May 08, 2007 10:25 am

Hey guys what's up. I am saving some money to get a good 5 string. I was planning to get a StingRay 5 but i'm not sure. can you tell me what you think about it and other 5 strings basses ?
Last edited by groovyw53 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
groovyw53

Postby jefbar » Wed May 09, 2007 6:57 am

My fave fivers in the SR5 league are, in no particular order, G&L L2500 (what I have), the SR5, the Bongo HS, Lakland Skyline 55-02, and a used Peavey Cirrus. There are others out there, but any of these will do you right for a long time. Look for a used L2500 and you'll get a great deal and a fiver for life.
Jeff
jefbar

Postby ReneGiust » Wed May 09, 2007 1:50 pm

I don't have much experience with 5 strings, but I have been in a similar situation as you (I assume). That is, having to pick out a decent 5'er while having limited experience with them. So, this may be helpful.

My main deciding factor while shopping and playing 5'ers has always been the neck shape and feel, and that's been mainly focused on the neck width. I've owned a couple of SR5s that have both felt great and had the neck width I was most comfortable with. The craftsmanship, the sound, the feel were all fantastic. Plus, they hold their value pretty well in the used market in case you need to sell (like I did foolishly both times). The SR5 is certainly a great choice.

Needing a less expensive 5er, I bought a G&L Tribute L2500 that had a similar neck shape (nut width, ect.) to the SR5. It has a few minor (and fixable) fret burrs but otherwise is a great instrument when you consider how much they go for on the used market. Lots of tonal flexibility on the L2500 too.

I could never get used to the neck feel of some of the others I tried. Lakland, Fender, & Lull to name a few. Even though they had other great qualities the neck feel...while in the standing position and not sitting down (weird huh?)...is what was 'make it or break it' for me.

So, if you need to spend around $400 (last I checked prices) go for a used Tribute L2500. Or, keep saving just a little more and get a really nice used U.S. L2500 or SR5.
Rene Giust

"When it's all said and done, P basses and cockroaches will roam the Earth." - Harleyyy
ReneGiust
Bouncer

Postby Fretless Bill » Wed May 09, 2007 5:10 pm

I think the SR 5 is an excellent choice, especially in the HH configuaration, very versible. I currently have 13 5ers and the SR 5 HH is my fav factory built bass. I have a bongo HS that I would have to rate second. I also have a bongo HH but prefer the HS. The Lakland 55-02 mentioned earlier is an excellent bass as well. I had a 55-02 and had my hands been bigger probly would still have it. Between the 35" scale and the wider neck of the Lakland and me not having big hands, I would get tired (left hand) playing it (the fact that I'm in my mid 50's and hands are not as limber as they used to be probly doesn't help much either). Good luck with your search.
Fretless Bill

Postby groovyw53 » Fri May 18, 2007 9:11 am

THanks everybody for replying. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
I'm pretty sure I'll get the Stingray5, don't know when,but i know that's my next bass [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]
"Going to the jungle where the elephant roams
Got to get away gonna make it my home"
groovyw53

Re:

Postby higher1 » Sun May 27, 2007 9:15 am

groovyw53 wrote:THanks everybody for replying. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
I'm pretty sure I'll get the Stingray5, don't know when,but i know that's my next bass [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]

You cannot go wrong if you get the SR5! I have 2 and I love them both equally. the tone and playability is un-matched by any other market bass IMO.
http://www.higher1.net
It's all in the fingers... BOOM!
higher1
Global Bouncer

Re: 5 string (Stingray 5 ??)

Postby shamus63 » Sun May 27, 2007 9:21 am

There's only two manufacturer's who have made 5-string basses that I've been totally comfortable with: Lakland and Ernie Ball...both a great bang-for-the-buck!

IMO, of course.
"Don't play it if you don't feel it." - James Jamerson
shamus63

Links: Basses:
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
'84 Squier Japan Precision
Yamaha BB300

Rig:
Ampeg B2-RE
Ampeg SVT-410HLF
=o7o

Return to 5 AND BEYOND