Five-string P-basses

Five-string P-basses

Postby Mike Childree » Mon May 28, 2007 6:47 am

Why aren't there more of them around? I've been playing my Lull P-5 a lot lately, and I'm SOOOO glad nobody bit when I had it up for sale a few weeks back! It took a bit of time, but I'm really really digging this bass now...it's just perfect. So simple, so light, and the tone is perfect with no tweaking required.

Why doesn't this design get more attention?

Mike Childree
Bouncer

Re: Five-string P-basses

Postby Ken Baker » Mon May 28, 2007 2:49 pm

Mike Childree wrote:Why doesn't this design get more attention?

Maybe because getting a B string to sound good on a passive bass is a tough gig. The L5000 that we have both owned is, in my opinion, a bit weak. Other passive 5'ers I've played have been similarly weak.

On the active side, I haven't picked up an L-2500 whose B string fired my rocket either. A Pedulla Thunderbolt I was salivating over almost made it, save for a trashed trussrod. Then there's the Bongo, which has a killer B string.

In the end, I think 5 string basses just need a preamp kick.

I've never even seen a Lull, let alone played one. Good stuff, huh?

Ken...
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Postby PeppermanL2K » Mon May 28, 2007 3:23 pm

A passive SUB5 has a good B, IMO. But, it's not a P-style.
Phil

John Entwistle 1944 - 2002
"Heaven just got a little louder..." - Kenny Howes
PeppermanL2K

Postby Mike Childree » Mon May 28, 2007 3:29 pm

Ken Baker wrote:I've never even seen a Lull, let alone played one. Good stuff, huh?

Yeah, I don't hear any deficiency in the B-string response on this bass whatsoever. I replaced the stock Basslines pickup with a Delano with REALLY big pole pieces, and the thing just roars. I took it to a blues jam last week and it was really strong, but sat perfectly in the mix. I'm pretty happy with it, and am actually enjoying playing a fiver again.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Highsidebass » Thu May 31, 2007 8:57 pm

Question about those pups:

Are they same size housings just one extra pole in one of them?

I've got a really pretty Fender Zone 5-string Bass I really really like as it is so light, but the pups are just crap. Its got the fender 3/2 p-bass pickup configuration, and I am having a really hard time finding something to throw in there to punch it up. I think Fender leaned a little too heavy on a 3-band preamp and cheaped out the pups as much as they could. What I am left with is a bass I love to play, that is light enough to play all night, every night, but the sound is just...well...less than my 78 P-bass four string, or my Trib.

Any insight?

Thanks!

Bill
Highsidebass

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:25 am

To my knowledge, there's not a whole lot of choices for five-string P pickups. Basslines makes the stock pickup that Lull installs, and I believe Bill Lawrence makes one too. The Delano pickups are gaining a pretty good rep in the boutique world, and I happened on a good deal on the one I dropped in my Lull....it really brought out the tone in that bass. The Basslines was a much more low-key vintage type tone, whereas the Delano ( http://www.delano.de )is fatter and more aggressive...just "more" in general. It dropped right in. Both the Basslines and Delanos have the separate halves of the pickup in same-size housings. I've seen others where one side containing three pole-pieces was longer than the one containing two.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Highsidebass » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:06 pm

Yes, the fender p-bass 5s and the Zone I have are like that (one longer than the other, with the longer one covering the A/D/G span. Called a 3/2 configuration...

I finally broke down and out of frustration today took a chance and ordered a set of Precision pups from Fender that are the stock HW on american deluxe P-bass 5's, based on someone's stumping for the sound they make on his P-5. It's a three-digit gamble, so I'm hoping it really stokes up the fire in that axe...

Makes me want to learn the art of how to wind my own... but then that would be one more hobby I don't have time for...

I'll advise what I learn from this little adventure...
Highsidebass

Postby revlimitbounce » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:13 pm

Highsidebass wrote:Yes, the fender p-bass 5s and the Zone I have are like that (one longer than the other, with the longer one covering the A/D/G span. Called a 3/2 configuration...

I finally broke down and out of frustration today took a chance and ordered a set of Precision pups from Fender that are the stock HW on american deluxe P-bass 5's, based on someone's stumping for the sound they make on his P-5. It's a three-digit gamble, so I'm hoping it really stokes up the fire in that axe...

Makes me want to learn the art of how to wind my own... but then that would be one more hobby I don't have time for...

I'll advise what I learn from this little adventure...

What are you opinions of the American Deluxe P-bass 5-string p'ups? I am considering that seemingly-forgotten 5-string bass to serve as a do-it-all live axe.
revlimitbounce

Postby Golem » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:57 pm

PeppermanL2K wrote:A passive SUB5 has a good B, IMO. But, it's not a P-style.

Yeah but you can turn it into one. It's not a "real" StingRay, so the EBMM purists won't torch your castle if you build a FrankenSUB-P5 [and bring it to life].

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Jerry » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:25 am

I saw Chefs Valanti and started a hunt and lucked into this....

UPS brought it a few hours before tonights gig, so of course I took it. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Attachments
HPIM0579.JPG
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby harleyyy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:02 am

So, how did that sweet and intimidating looking bass do Jer?
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Jerry » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:38 am

harleyyy wrote:So, how did that sweet and intimidating looking bass do Jer?

It was a pretty light restaurant gig, so I really didn't get to smack it around like I would like. I have to raise the action a bit for my non-technique, these basses are capable a some serious easy and low action if desired. Nino really does some great work!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby GLJeff » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:05 am

Jerry wrote:
harleyyy wrote:So, how did that sweet and intimidating looking bass do Jer?

It was a pretty light restaurant gig, so I really didn't get to smack it around like I would like. I have to raise the action a bit for my non-technique, these basses are capable a some serious easy and low action if desired. Nino really does some great work!

You can lower the B with no fret buzz? Nice looking bass!
GLJeff

Postby hippiesandwich » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:11 am

This bass followed me home from 2009 Anaheim NAMM. Here are some pics of the bass sitting on the bed beside me back at the hotel in Anaheim with the plastic still on the guard:

Want to hear a great story of when GAS and destiny collide?

I wanted a 34" PJ5. I saw the Fodera PJ5 at bassexchange (the first PJ5 Fodera I've ever seen):
http://www.bassexchange.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=94_99&products_id=2338

But I didn't want ash/maple. I wanted alder/rosewood instead, in white/red tort/rosewood like my trusty 1966 P bass. I went to the Fodera booth to see if I could order the following bass:

NYC Empire PJ5, 34" scale
White with matching headstock
Alder body, rosewood board
60's pickup placement
Red tort guard
Black hardware

I walk up to the booth and the bass I want to order is sitting there unsold! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

The coolest part is when Joey and I got to talking, he said that this is only the 2nd PJ5 they have ever made... the other is the ash/maple at bassexchange. They read my mind! HOW COOL IS THAT? :)
Looser is the opposite of tighter, not winner.
hippiesandwich
Bouncer

Postby Jerry » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:46 am

Oh man, that IS fine!!!!!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Next

Return to 5 AND BEYOND