Warwick Thumb 6-string

Warwick Thumb 6-string

Postby Uberjam » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:08 pm

I play bass for the army and I've been given the chance to buy a new bass for the unit. It'll be the army's bass but for as long as I'm at this post it'll be mine. I'm thinking about the Warwick thumb 6-string and I was wondering if anybody had played or owned one. I've played a few warwicks and I've always loved their tone. I have played a lot of different basses being in the army band field and i'll always have my fender jazz as a back up, but I'd still like to know if anybody has played one of these beautiful basses. I wish I had time to drive up to Atlanta and sit around playing a few but I'm just too busy, so I've spent a few nights now reading reviews before crashing and the warwick thumb series seems to have only one downfall, they are heavy. Which I don't mind. I'll be playing this bass sitting down for the most part jamming along with a jazz combo at some high brass drinky party. The band already has a roscoe and a fedora but they have seen better days.
Only sick music makes money today.
-Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
Uberjam

Links: Basses:
Marcus Miller signature Fender Jazz V
American Standard Fender Jazz IV
3/4 kay style upright

Gear:
Genz Benz 750 head
Genz Benz 6x10 cab
Tech 21 Sans Amp RBI preamp
TC Electronic C400XL Dual channel compressor

Extra toys:
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Boss overdrive
Digi-tech sub octave synth
Boss loop station
Boss super octave
Boss bass chorus
Boss bass synth
Boss flanger

Recording gear:
Macbook
Ableton live 8
Korg Pandora's box PX5D
Boss DR3 Drum Machine

Re: Warwick Thumb 6-string

Postby oogie boogie » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:54 am

I've played a couple, and they are all very neck-heavy. It's not so much the over all weight, it's that it's constantly trying to pull your shoulder foraward. Also, I find the necks to be rather bulky, and not wide enough string spacing for comfort. I'd much sooner get a Ken Smith (NOT Burner series), or a Sadowsky NYC. Hell, if it's the army's dime, you might even look into a Fodera. I'm much happier seeing the army buying top quality musical instruments and trying to culturally enrich than killing people. Not to say that I don't support the service and the people who promise to defend our nation with their very lives, cuz I'm a vet myself, but killing people is never cool. Playing bass is way cooler.
oogie boogie

Return to 5 AND BEYOND