LOW B TO HIGH C

LOW B TO HIGH C

Postby nig » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:36 am

Has anyone here got a high c strung 5 string and how do you find it, what guage have you settled on, as I have a low b 5 string but the earthquake zone isnt used much and I like the idea of going high c, any input from you groovsters is always welcome. [smilie=icon_idea.gif]
'Using yesterdays technology to create tommorrows problems today'

nig

Re: LOW B TO HIGH C

Postby GLJeff » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:21 am

I haven't tried it yet, but I was reading that Dave Larue strings one of his basses like this for studio use. If if your E is a 110 or 105 I'd go with a .30 for the C, If your E is a 95 or 100 I'd go with a .25 for the C. That should give you even string tension.
GLJeff

Postby nig » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:05 am

Thanks Jeff, I do 95 or 100 E, so i'll give it a go and see where it takes me!

nig

Postby ghiadub » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:50 pm

You might also check for a 6 string set in whatever brand/gauge you are using, that 6th will be the high c in the correct tension from that maker.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:02 pm

I string my 5's with a high C. I have one strung with LaBella Black Tapes and another with Hard Rockin' Steels. I've also used Ken Smith slicks in the past. I usually get a medium set of 4's and then buy a single high C (26, 29) whatever gauge is suitable for the set that's going on it. I think the Hard Rockin' set came a 5 string set with high C.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby nig » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:14 pm

yep done the deed,my L2500 is now its a bass that thinks its a geetar ! gonna gig it tomorrow night, I really like the feel of the extended range, so if I can keep my sensible hat on and not be tempted to wig out then Im gonna prefer it to the low B . thanks for the input guys.

nig

Postby Bob Amstadt » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:45 am

Enjoy! My 6-string is EADGCF. So, I'm in the same camp as you not wanting the low-B. As for finding strings, I have a harder time than you because I need the high-F and high-C and my bass is medium scale. However, if you do some shopping around, you can find some manufacturers with well matched singles to go along with their 5-string sets. You also have the option of just buying a 6-string set and tossing the B string.
Looperlative Audio Products
http://www.looperlative.com
Bob Amstadt
Bouncer

Postby School Teacher » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Hey nig,

Regarding your L-2500 restrung with a High C. What gauges do you use for that G&L bass.
Also, do you think a Hipshot Extender Key would fit in the E string hole and clear the other tuners on the back of the headstock? You see, I'm thinking of restringing a L-2500 too. I'm glad to find out that other people went for the High C as well.

Thanks
School Teacher

Return to 5 AND BEYOND