Slappin' a 5'er?

Slappin' a 5'er?

Postby Tornadobass » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:07 am

I've been playing bass for quite a few years, but have been morally opposed to slapping my axe.

Lately, though, I've picked up a Tribby L-2500 and it seems to be into that stuff, nothing too kinky though.

What I'm wondering is how to deal with the B string...play it? Mute it? How to keep it under control?
Tornadobass

Re: Slappin' a 5'er?

Postby GLJeff » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:38 pm

I slap all the time on my 5 string Tribute, as far as the B string goes, mute it, you can use the left hand slap on it, or thumb slap. With heavy strings it's hard to get much out of it though. I don't like using strings heavier than .125's
GLJeff

Postby oogie boogie » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:36 am

It really depends on how you hold the instrument, and your technique. I hold my bass high and mute the strings lower than the one I'm slapping with my right forearm, and the ones higher with the undersides of the fingers on my left hand. If you hold your bass lower, you may find the backside of your right hand, heel of your palm, or ball of your thumb, if you're a low-rider. The right one is what works for you. The bootom line is that it's a technique to get the notes you're going for into the right place in the tune, and not an excuse to wank. Good luck. Practice and sooner or later it'll come out naturally where it's supposed to go.

O
oogie boogie

Postby Tornadobass » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:45 am

So far, just getting the thumb part worked out is helping. The 65 D string doesn't pop too well without being fairly loud. The 45 G is okay. I'm working with Ed Friedland's DVD where he uses the first finger for popping the D and the second finger for popping the G.

Slap will be a small part of what I'm doing, so I'd prefer not to go to lighter strings. These Ernie Ball regular slinkies are already lighter than my usual D'addario 50-105 mediums.
Tornadobass

Postby Tucson Bass Player » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:32 am

Check out any videos you can find of Bill "The Buhda" Dickens thumbing 6 and 7 string basses. We all go through this when we move from a 4 string bass asnd start thumbing and snapping. You just have to commit. Also check out some of Victor Wootens lessons on You Tube and just incorporate them into 5 or 6 string excercises. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Tucson Bass Player

Links: www.tucsonbassplayer.blogspot.com

Return to 5 AND BEYOND