Chapman Stick?

Chapman Stick?

Postby oz » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:35 am

Hi many-stringers. I play Chapman Stick and bass, currently playing a 10-string graphite extended-scale stick.

Anybody playing stick here?
Last edited by oz on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
oz

Postby higher1 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:06 am

I don't play a stick. just measely, lil ole 5'ers. that's all I can handle.

WELCOME bro! [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]
higher1
Global Bouncer

Postby oz » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:47 am

Strangely, I have almost never played 5-string. Played 4 since I was 17. I just got a 5-er off eBay, and should arrive today Didn't buy a major-player model, but something well-reviewed that I thought I could just mess with - Cort Kurbow model. Probably gonna be kinda iffy, but did seem like the best reviewed (by real bassists) cheap-o out there.
oz

Postby Bob Amstadt » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:24 am

Never played stick myself, but I have met a couple of bass players that are also stick players. I'm not sure if any of them are on this forum or not. Although there is crossover, I don't think of a stick as a bass. It has the bass half, but really it is a completely different instrument.

It is a very interesting instrument. My vocal instructor is also a stick player and I like what he is able to do with it. It amazes me that he can play the stick and sing at the same time.
Looperlative Audio Products
http://www.looperlative.com
Bob Amstadt
Bouncer

Postby BigMike50L » Wed May 31, 2006 9:52 am

oz wrote:Strangely, I have almost never played 5-string. Played 4 since I was 17. I just got a 5-er off eBay, and should arrive today Didn't buy a major-player model, but something well-reviewed that I thought I could just mess with - Cort Kurbow model. Probably gonna be kinda iffy, but did seem like the best reviewed (by real bassists) cheap-o out there.

Once you go 5, it's hard to go back. How much are those sticks anyway? I've heard some ridiculous prices.
Chances are, you owe James Jamerson money.
BigMike50L

Postby oz » Wed May 31, 2006 9:59 am

Sticks are in the normal price range of most custom made guitars -- new they are about $2600 to $3600. Used they range from about $1500 to $3000. Many custom made guitars are at that price level.

I have been playing 5-string the last few months, and find I am sometimes not even bringing the 4 to gigs!
oz

Return to 5 AND BEYOND