Mods/Improvements for your G&L

Leo's "Final Frontier"

Easy battery change on L series basses: proposed mod

Postby temcat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Cross-posted from BassesByLeo in case anybody is interested. Originally written as an answer to Youngspanion's request.

Cut a piece from the control cavity cover right over the battery compartment, but slightly larger (so that it can rest on the surrounding wood). That will be your battery compartment cover. Then install a couple of thin tabs onto the control cavity cover to hold the battery cover in place. Use small bolts and nuts for that, and don't tighten them overly much so that you could still turn the tabs, though with some resistance. Drill small recesses in the wood for the nuts. Voila! Now you have an easily removable cover on the battery compartment.

temcat

Re: Mods/Improvements for your G&L

Postby Bassilisk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:11 am

Sure feels different to finally be back here! Been a long time.

So, in the meantime, earlier this year I decided to restore my '81 L2Ke to a playable condition. I got it for a decent price because it came with an 84/85 neck.
Not a biggie, but it had a slight twist in it - not unplayable but it could only be tweaked but so far.
I decided to keep it and see what I could do. We all know that finding a G&L neck is like looking for hen's teeth.
By the time I got that neck straightened out I'd be in it for some real money, and still couldn't be sure what I'd get.

I went ahead and put a Moses replacement on it, along with a brand new G&L pre/harness since the original finally croaked.

It took a little doing mounting it with the 3 bolt because of the truss rod location in the heel (my tech is a wizard thank goodness).
Moses assured me there would be no issue, but of course, there was. I will add that this issue will only happen with the 3 bolt mount.
It will work fine with any of the others. I tried it with rounds and it didn't suit me. Threw on a set of GHS Precision Flats and I am loving it!!!
The tone = thick and muscular is my best description. Punches right through the mix with that little extra authority composite offers.

I love it when a plan comes together. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Image Image
http://www.risky-biz.com

Save the earth. It's the only planet with beer.
Bassilisk

Previous

Return to G&L