Leo's "Final Frontier"...G&L

Leo's "Final Frontier"

Leo's "Final Frontier"...G&L

Postby Templar » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:46 pm

Come on in and share your experiences with perhaps one of the most misunderstood marques in all of bassdom.....G&L.

Love 'em? Hate 'em? Whatever, this is the place to talk G&L basses, because here, it's always G&L time.
Attachments
000_0001 (Small) (2).jpg
000_0001 (Small) (2).jpg (36.94 KiB) Viewed 5879 times
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby capt.john » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:35 am

I know this is a sticky, but I feel compelled to quote Leo in his own words...
Attachments
Leo Fender on G&L Instruments.jpg
Leo Fender on G&L Instruments.jpg (97.08 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
A true G&L believer. Powered by GK.
capt.john

Postby Tornadobass » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:11 pm

I had that ad on my office bulletin board for quite awhile. But I just noticed that Leo has a bandaid on his left hand. Love his smile in that pic!
Tornadobass

Re: Leo's "Final Frontier"...G&L

Postby Dean » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:17 am

I got my first G&L in 2002. It's a 1982 L-1000. In some ways, I prefer the G&L to my pre-CBS Precision. The G&L is not neck heavy, and it offers more sound possibilities. It amazed me how much the L1000 feels like my 1960 P-Bass. The neck dimensions are similar: wide but slim front to back. In 2005 I got an '81 L2000E. This bass has become my standard for what I'd call a warm but well defined tone.
Dean

Postby nig » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:25 pm

I got my first L2K from silvertounge music of da bay back in 2000 ish, on a whim from deep inside me, remembering playing one in the mid 80's, a fine bass it is too, my question is...changing the subject a little, is, why does GGJaguar consider the Climax bass to be not a noteworthy G&L, as he said in a thread a while back, as you know im a former stingray player and I find the Climax a totally absorbing instrument with beautiful curves and lines, especially and ironically on the back where you cant see the fine curve that runs across it.happy halloween bro's.
'Using yesterdays technology to create tommorrows problems today'

nig

Postby Madcity Fats » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:08 am

My first G&L was an SB-2 I bought in the mid 90's as a backup to my '68 Jazz. It quickly became my main bass for gigging and recording. A few years later, during a dry spell when I was in between bands, I got an offer on the Jazz that I couldn't refuse (it was a refin with an ugly rout where some moron had tried to install a humbucker, so it wasn't exactly a museum piece), but the SB-2 wasn't going anywhere. Later on, when I started gigging again, I bought an LB-100 as a backup for variety's sake. Also a rock solid, beautiful bass, although I tend to prefer the skinnier neck.

Several years later I took the SB-2 to a local guy for a setup and he discovered that the truss rod was frozen, which sucked because it needed tweaking. He suggested that he might be able to fudge an adjustment using the micro-tilt feature, but I couldn't stand the idea that she'd never be quite right again.

So I emailed Chris at G&L repair and asked him what he could do. He said to send the bass in and he'd replace the neck. Meanwhile, it occurred to me that the 10-year warranty might still be alive on this thing (I couldn't recall exactly when I'd bought it). Luckily, I'm the kind of guy who saves receipts for big purchases (even though she was under $700 brand new at the time it was a major investment for me), so I dug it out. Sure enough, I had one month left on the warranty.

I emailed Chris back to ask him if a new neck would be covered by the warranty. "Yep," he said. If I got it to a dealer and sent it in I'd only be responsible for shipping to and fro. I was blown away. Not once was it suggested that I'd maybe done something to wreck the truss rod (in fact, the neck was such a rock, it had never been adjusted prior to that failed attempt). Long story short, about a month later I got my baby back with a new quarter-sawn neck. So she's got a little different character now (two serial numbers, for example) but she's whole again, and every bit the player she was the day she first arrived.

I was so impressed I immediately put my Gibson Thunderbird up for sale and used the money to buy another, brand new SB-2. Chris's professionalism and no-nonsense approach was directly responsible for that sale. I've since added an '86 SB-1 to the family and now I'm angling for one of those sweet, sweet L-1000 reissues this site has made possible.

I think it's safe to say I'm as big a G&L devotee as anyone out there. This company is the real deal.

Sorry for the long first post.
Madcity Fats

Postby steveonbass » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:45 am

Sorry for the long first post.

Most first posts don't have any substance - this is a GREAT first post. (unless you work for G&L [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif] )
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby Madcity Fats » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:43 am

steveonbass wrote:(unless you work for G&L [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif] )

I wish. But I'm in Wisconsin and that commute would be a killer with the price of gas what it is today. So I guess I'll just keep shilling for free.
Madcity Fats

Postby Chef » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:14 am

I bought my first G&L in 1981, an L2000E-FL. I had that bass til I went unemployed last year.
I've always had a (or several) G&L ever since.
When I sold my L2000E, I kept my 1980 and 1981 L1000's; they just seemed to suit me better.
Columbia, Missouri.
Cookin in the basement since the early 70's...
Bassist for The Fried Crawdaddies, Shea and Silver Streak, Ironweed Bluegrass Band
Staff Reviewer: BassGearMagazine
Chef

Postby moe monsarrat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Just got my 1st G&L (an L-5500) in a trade. While it's not a real fancy looking bass & the reviews I read somewhere were not that flattering, I really dig it. The tone is to die for & it has an otherworldly strength to it. I use mostly flat wounds on my stuff & I put my fave Ernie Ball flats on this one. It's kinda heavy, but for recording I can only imagine it will shine. I never wanted a G&L very much but after playing this one, I'm a fan!
"I-Mon drive de bus. Dem guitar players jus' ridin' in it!"
moe monsarrat

Links: Endorsers: Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
Bassist/Vocalist/Composer/ Producer
Stop The Truck-www.stopthetruck.com
The Mau Mau Chaplains-www.maumauchaplians.com
Freddy Powers-www.freddypowers.com
Sonny Throckmorton-just google him
The Lotions

Postby Chef » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:07 pm

That's how it all starts.
Welcome to the borg. It's useless to resist, you will be absorbed.
Columbia, Missouri.
Cookin in the basement since the early 70's...
Bassist for The Fried Crawdaddies, Shea and Silver Streak, Ironweed Bluegrass Band
Staff Reviewer: BassGearMagazine
Chef

Return to G&L